1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Because we need some levity (and because I apparently teed one up for him)

A live look at @Vombatus

Vombatus likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Meh. That could have been shot at a Marlins game last summer.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am a newly minted Rams season ticket holder for new stadium. Rams sent an email yesterday saying that you will only be charged for games played (specifically, you will be credited for games not played). The email also brought up the chance of playing in front of limited crowds due to local restrictions.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

My mother was feeling like you the other day, not surprisingly, after she'd sat at home all day, watching and listening to the depressing news of how bad everything is getting, and how worried it made her that I was still having to go to work, in Walmart, no less, and just how is this going to get stopped because what isn't touched, handled, breathed on, etc. by somebody on some level?, etc...

Watching, listening and reading too much about this stuff almost can't help but start to have an unintended impact, and you are no longer just keeping abreast of news and informing yourself, but harming yourself. You almost need to turn off and tune out a little bit.

(True to her nature and faith, my mother finally started sounding and acting the way she usually does, realizing and eventually saying that, as bad as things are, "We really have no idea how lucky we are in this country.")

I had to agree. I don't think we actually know what a true lockdown is. Because, you know, I'd just come to see her from work, where we, once again, served a crowded, busy store that was oftentimes filled with rude, complaining, entitled-thinking customers. It's getting to be like, "There's supposed to be a quarantine going on. Why are these people even here?"

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I don't get it; why are the seats not in orderly rows?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Assuming the new stadium gets completed on time.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I'm a Broncos season ticket holder and haven't heard squat. I did see a local media report that they were delaying the second payment but the team hasn't communicated at all. I have season tickets to my college too and they have said they are delaying the seat improvement process and holding off for renewals of other sports.

MileHigh likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Colorado updates you and Roscablo provide.

MileHigh likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Wow. I've been wondering on how this would work. A lottery system, perhaps? One of every four seats gets selected for use in order to keep distancing guidelines in place. That would not go over well, either.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Can somebody give me a quick explanation as to what the "second wave of Covid-19 coming in August" might be. This is something I must have missed.

REASON: I am on the planning committee for my 50-year high school reunion, scheduled for the middle of September. Currently, I am working on the Valhalla, compiling a list of classmates who have passed away. On Facebook yesterday, somebody posted that if we have the reunion, we will have to add a lot more names to the list because of the second wave coming in August. I just responded that it is too soon to cancel an event that is more than 5 months away and it is never a bad time to recognize our classmates who have died.

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Why this will continue to spread out of control, part MCMLXVII, courtesy of today's Chicago Tribune update:

Late Friday afternoon, the city of Hammond announced that its first employee had tested positive for COVID-19. A Hammond police officer has tested positive for the virus, Mayor Tom McDermott Jr. said, while two others who were in close contact with that officer were sent home.

The two other individuals won’t be ordered into quarantine, he said, because the city can’t afford to lose first responders at a time like this.

“Just because you’ve been exposed but are not showing symptoms, I can’t have them quarantined for two weeks,” McDermott said. “Imagine if one of the firefighters got sick, and then we quarantined all 12 on a shift because they’ve been exposed.” Read the full story. —Michelle L. Quinn

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There is a concern among epidemiologists that the virus will go kind of dormant in the summer and then return in the fall as do influenza viruses. But I haven't heard anything as specific as August.

Draft saved Draft deleted