1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Its problem is that only has age-related demographics from a few states. Or least that's what I assume.
    Don't tell me that x % of Louisiana deaths are among people under 70 if your only comparisons are to individual, cherry-picked states. You need a national comparison.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Colorado numbers today:3,728 cases 11.5 percent increase, down from 12.7 percent
    710 hospitalized (14.5 percent increase, down from 21.8 percent)
    Percentage of hospitalized at 19 percent
    Number of tests at 20,411 (plus 1,766)
    Percentage of those tested who came back positive at 18.8 percent, up from 17.9 percent
    97 deaths (plus 17)

Takeaways:

Increase number of cases was up 12 from what they went up on Wednesday. For the past eight days, the range of increase from the previous day has been between 304 and 386, save for one outlier. The rate of doubling continues to slow, now at more than every five days. So while the number continues to increase more than the previous day, it's not astronomical.
    Hospitalizations: Up 90 and the first time the number increase was lower than the previous day for the first time since Saturday. Rate of doubling between three and four days. Last weekend, we were at nearly every other day.
    Tests continue to go up. 69.5 percent of all tests have been done since March 24
    Sadly, deaths continue to go up. Doubling is at nearly every three days, about the same as Wednesday.
    The University of Washington model shows a peak of 85 deaths a day on April 18, the same as Wednesday, with 2,154 deaths in the state by Aug. 4, up from 2,135 on Wednesday.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Fortunately doesn't apply to my neighborhood courts. But in the field beside the courts this afternoon was a group of 10 people engaged in football drills. Not too much social distancing over there.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Does anybody think the most vain, self-absorbed person on the planet is going to take the lead and don a mask to set a good example? I have my doubts.

apeman33 and HanSenSE like this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I dunno; he obviously already wears goggles every day, so maybe?

[​IMG]

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Nah, they'll cover it with great concern over how he broke chain of command, how the brave family members were thrown into a panic because of his recklessness and how he panicked in the face of a crisis.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Our mayor closed the facilities of public parks a week or so ago - mainly basketball and tennis courts and exercise stations - but said people can still exercise in the parks' open spaces if they maintain 6 feet of separation. I wondered why tennis courts were included, but it seems a lot simpler to close everything. At least here, there also might be some racial/class tension if basketball courts were closed but not tennis courts. I suppose you could also argue that the virus could be transmitted when tennis players alternate holding the ball to serve. While running on Tuesday, I noticed police cars driving around the park at least six times in 90 minutes, so the authorities seem to be taking it seriously.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

My father was in the Navy for 33 years. Sat on many review boards and courts-martial. He said the officer in question is getting relieved because the letter went public and he broke the chain of command. They take that shit seriously.

Draft saved Draft deleted