1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Trump administration is trying to kill people, me especially included as a senior. I'm increasingly inclined to return the favor. I'll never see Jared except on TV, but I couldn't control myself if I did.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It'll be very interesting to see how far Fatfuck's pardon umbrella will stretch to cover the asses of his pawns/minions/henchmen after he leaves office. It's pretty obvious a lot of them are working under the assumption Fatfuck will give them a Get Out Of Jail Free card on the way out the door. I suspect eventually they'll be in for a shocking surprise; Fatfuck will be happy to throw most of them to the dogs.
    He'll pardon his mutant deformed spawn plus himself. That'll be it. Everybody else can fucking go hang for all he cares.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Ohio's stay-at-home order was extended to May 1 yesterday. The old stay-at-home order expires Monday and DeWine announced with when the new order goes into effect, grocers have to set limits on how many people are allowed to be in the store at one time.

That's great -- but waiting until Monday for that to go into effect and are not implementing it i-fucking-mmediately is incredibly stupid as far as I'm concerned. I can only imagine the crowds that are flocking to stores today and will continue to flock over the weekend.

The stores (Kroger, Walmart) I've been to since social distancing was encouraged three weeks ago have been packed ever since.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'm actually surprised about our stay at home order that took place yesterday.
    I just spent about 15-20 minutes on my front porch. I can look across the way at one of the main highways in the county. I saw 1 truck go past the whole time I was out there.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

All the available evidence shows that large majorities of people respond to the stay at home orders by staying at home as much as they can. It's too bad it's not unanimous, but nothing in the US is ever that.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They keep saying the grocery stores won't close, but we certainly seem to be heading in that direction. Either because of governmental orders, because workers will get sick, or because items will be in short supply as the production chain slows down.
    So even with the risk, some big trips to the grocery store seem quite prudent.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

9. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

It's been three weeks here. Cupboards should be overflowing by now. There's no excuse for the crowds I continue to see -- drove by Kroger on way to office this AM (my first time out since Saturday), and Kroger parking lot was 3/4 full.

10. Michael_ Gee

I go to the supermarket at the old folks' earlybird (like 6:30 a.m.) hour and here it's the opposite. Market's not completely empty, but maybe 10-15 percent of what it would be in a pre-shutdown morning hour, like say 9. Shortages less noticeable, too. Paper goods in short supply, but present. Frozen foods, especially the diet ones and the french fries and tater tots, an odd polarization, in short supply. But fresh meats and vegetables and fruit are OK.

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I see people defending Arkansas not having a shelter in place order by saying "once you lose civil liberties, you never get them back!"

They completely ignore that the "stay home" directives he's given are just a soft-sell of a shelter in place. Non-essential businesses are closed. Parks are closed. Churches are closed (mostly). The only thing a "shelter in place" order would do is drive home just how damn serious it is to stay the fuck home - which is why he should do it.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted