1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

TheSportsPredictor likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, let's listen to Clay Travis instead of this guy.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

But we have fantastic deaths. Incredible deaths.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So much winning.
    It’s always nice to see Trumpists lose. Particularly when their aim is to kill people for the crime of living in areas that don’t share the klan’s love of a bigoted, demented despot.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. tapintoamerica

Aside from that brief disruption in Act III, the April 14, 1865 presentation of Our American Cousin was perfect.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Aside from Pennsylvania, Florida and Wisconsin, Hillary won the Electoral College.

Fred siegle and Baron Scicluna like this.
  8. tapintoamerica

Tremendous. Only thing he didn’t mention was Dr. Travis’ claim in March that we were one week from hitting the national peak.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

See, I think they will.

Most places that are closed right now are closed because it has been mandated. If the closures are reversed and the country officially "open for business" again, I think those businesses will, in fact, re-open, and anybody who wants their jobs that they've had to either stay home from, or have actually been laid off from, for any length of time, will be going back to work.

They may not really want to, and they might wear masks/gloves, and things probably won't be ideal in terms of customer service because people will be trying to keep their distance. But they will go back to work.

Because most people need to do so. The shutdown right now is just permission to be out of work. Take that permission off the table, and most businesses/employees will go back to work.

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

It's going to be very dependent on what it is. Will people go get their hair cut? Yes. Will the go to the dentist eventually? Yes, but they might even wait on that. Will the go to a random store here or there or hang out at the park? Sure. Will they go to movies? I doubt it. Sporting events or concerts if they are allowed to happen? It's going to be really slow. Traveling? That's going to take a long time, especially super touristy places like Vegas or Disneyland. Sitting in restaurants? I just don't know, and you know there won't be tables crammed any more so that impacts things too.

You'll have plenty of people who think this was all nonsense and go yuck it up, but very many more who will be slow to really get back out there. It's going to be a slog on most stuff until people are sure there is a grasp on things. There will be necessities and if people are allowed to go back to work they will go if they have a job, but how things reemerge is very much in question, especially if there are questions on how safe it is out there. Then there's a whole other story on what will be successful.

Point still remains that if there was widespread testing and we knew where it was or if it was possibly spreading or even outright gone, it would make it easier on people to make certain decisions.

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Yeah, that narrative is spreading fast and it's ridiculous. Using the flu argument, you know that tons more die from it, it is no different. Everyone who catches something and dies likely died from complications of it. How many flu deaths are because of preexisting conditions that couldn't handle the virus or an onset of pneumonia or whatever? It's no different. Yet they don't bring that up. And likely COVID deaths are extremely undercounted right now as it is, but that's a whole different narrative. I also hate the lack of respect for those who have died. I can't wrap my mind around it. But it's not going to change with those who make these arguments.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Ending closures and returning to "business as usual" without rigorous, comprehensive testing just prolongs the misery. Sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted