1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Neutral Corner

Day cares are a petri dish in the best of times. Kyle's kids are like 1 and 3 1/2.

3. Neutral Corner

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any new predictions or data widely publicized lately, like the downturn to 60,000 deaths a few weeks ago that so many people used as acceptable and a reason everything was blown out of proportion. But even with weekend reporting lag, we'll likely hit 40,000 deaths on Sunday, two thirds of the way to that 60,000 prediction. It seems like that is pretty low guess at this point, and terrible regardless. What are we really looking at considering at best we've hit the peak and still likely have a long way to go? I'm still amazed at the sheer number of people who brush off the magnitude of those numbers.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The IHME model was run again yesterday and listed its total slightly down, to just about 60,000, with most of those by May 1.

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

But as these numbers keep going up, I'm with you, I think it's going well past that number.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We are all in a situation that was caused, that should have been solved long ago."

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Roscablo

Well, it's pretty accurate for today, which I guess why wouldn't it be? But it basically calls for no deaths after June, which we can only hope. It also gives a range, which is pretty big. We hit 20,000 just eight days ago. Without a huge drop in daily totals, it still seems like we're about two weeks away from 60,000. If other places start going back and adding tallies, which you know exist, like New York did this week it will be faster. I know stuff like this just goes with the info they have and that info isn't great as we all know. One good thing is the completely drying up in the summer. I wonder what they base that on and if it will really happen? I've never been convinced this will go away with warmer weather, although it surely will slow.

MileHigh likes this.
  8. Roscablo

Another thing to look at, and again I'm not sure how they are getting their numbers, but Italy has basically plateaued and stayed there. Similar amount of daily deaths for at least two weeks now. I know we're not Italy as we said a lot of times earlier here, but in many ways we've been worse. If that happens here we'll shoot past those figures. It's just all mind boggling. Let's liberate the country, though!

OscarMadison, SFIND and MileHigh like this.
  9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

10. Neutral Corner

I've seen statistics that say heat and humidity will beat the virus down some - but where I live, idiots can form their own little outbreak cells and then pass it to others. I'd like to believe it would, 'cause it will get hot and humid as hell soon now. I just think we have enough idiots, magats, and scoffers that it will continue to pop up randomly. We're going to continue living isolated as much as possible.

I do think that rates will go down some, and also that they'll go right back up come October/November.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

SFIND and Tweener like this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted