1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Teachers, janitors, lunch ladies.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

For everybody involved.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Your premise that students aren't learning anything is flawed and untrue. The results are all over the place, but you're just throwing that at the wall and hoping it sticks.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

My 11-year-old daughter's principal sent out this nugget on Monday: Our student participation right now is 27% full engagement, 65% some engagement, and 8% no engagement

My daughter is, by all estimates, among the 27 percent fully engaged, but we will find out when her report card arrives next week. That's a pretty crappy percentage though, with 73 percent doing some of their assignments. She spends every morning doing her work, from like 8-12, then she plays online with her friends or we go play tennis together or go to the beach. If she wasn't doing school work, she'd be whining she was bored. She said the other day that she's ready to go back to school.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see what that "some engagement" breakdown entails.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

LOL, Maryalnd Dummycrats can't see TRUMP'S sarcasm! This is why he will win in a landslide!

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I’m amused to hear Trumpists complaining about the diminished state of education in America. This is a first. Particularly interested that they’re up in arms over the inadequacy of home schooling, which they love.

poindexter likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I was talking with a friend who owns a neighborhood restaurant (fast casual, focused on sandwiches and soups during the week and a killer Saturday brunch). His dad owns one of the best BBQ joints in town. Jeff was telling me local restaurant owners are worried that reopening with restrictions will be the final nail in the coffin. Their floorplans are designed to make X dollars per service, but if he's got to take out half or two-thirds of the tables, then the math doesn't work to pay the rent - which his landlord has slashed in half while they've been closed. He's also worried the assistance programs for small businesses will dry up once they are allowed to reopen.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Man, that seems quite low. I wonder what it is like overall across the country?

All my kids that are in school (grades 3, 7 and 9) have done everything, without us asking. Guess that's just sort of expected here. That's even with the older two knowing their grades can't drop. Yeah. That's our school district's policy, kind of dumb, but whatever. The third grader some times doesn't understand something or tries to cut corners but he's most times gotten on track. The older two have done everything on their own, the younger one has needed help from time to time, mostly on tech. Hr is actually reading more than he ever has, much of it of his own free will. So that's cool.

They all do between 2 and 4 hours a day and that seems good to me for the most part considering what it is. We have a preschooler too and he won't do any of the work given to him. He hates it, but I'm not fighting tons with a preschooler.

I'm very involved with our elementary school and the principal flat said if kids don't want to do something or you can't get them too or you can't get to help them because of stuff you're doing don't fight it tons in that moment. Luckily other than the preschooler we haven't had that problem. Such a different atmosphere all around.

OscarMadison and FileNotFound like this.
  10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

people are listening

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

You're on to something here. So far where I live (the Northwest), social distancing and the stay-at-home edict have coincided with the usual lousy spring weather.

But as May approaches, and with our area having no deaths and a very low number of COVID-19 cases, there's no way people will ignore the great outdoors; it's a big part of why they moved here.

Hopefully the 6-8 weeks of staying at home, combined with continued social distancing during outdoor activities, will mean there's a low risk for those heading outside, because it's going to happen regardless.

Draft saved Draft deleted