1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's kind of a silly guideline, though, in that "cases" in large part is a byproduct of "testing."

The more you ramp up testing (good), the more you ramp up "cases." (bad)

Doesn't mean more people are being infected. Just means we ID'd them.

If we tested everyone in the country TODAY, the number of cases would skyrocket. And no number in the subsequent 14 days would come close to it.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yep. Every number has to be judged against the rate of testing, which is still horrible almost everywhere.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since most testing is still only of people with virus symptoms, it becomes a self-fulfilling statistic. Until there's significant testing of people who feel just fine, thank you, we won't have an accurate measure of the disease.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You don't think President Trump can beat that? You haven't been paying attention.

It is poorly worded and his decision to lump the entire Jewish community together with those refusing to follow proper social distancing is troubling, but de Blasio is an idiot. He is handling things horribly.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Context makes a difference, but 21st-century politicians need to be smart enough to remember how quickly things get taken out of context.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

thread: keep your eye on the class war

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Will it? With the soft openings going on everywhere and more people mingling, I think we're absolutely headed to a steady pace of death.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just don't see 2,000 a day every day between now and November 3. Maybe I'm more of an optimist than most, but I'm starting to think some people are getting off on these doomy projections. (Not calling you out as one Garrow, just saying.)

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

We were also supposed to have hit 1 million dead as of last Saturday.

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I think we're starting to see signs of it dropping below 2,000, although it's bounced around so much the last week it's hard to tell. But then it will stay 1,500 fo a while and a 1,000 a while more than that. How long for those numbers, which still suck, who knows? Then if there's a surge here soon or a second peak, also who knows.

We won't see 2,000 a day for the foreseeable future but it's certainly going to remain ugly.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not suggesting were past peak or at a point where we're going to start to go down on a daily basis any time in the immediate future. I'm just not willing to say we're on this same track for six months, either.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted