1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Shockholm Syndrome

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yes and no. One of the Remdesivir trials is at UAB, and I've been watching it. The drug is somewhat like Tamiflu in that it needs to be administered early in the infection to be most effective, but it is an intravenous drug. You have to be in the hospital to get it (by definition, that's not early on) and the statistical improvement in outcomes is a single digit percentage. I still have hope for it, but it does not appear to be a game changer.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

No, but it says a game changer is out there. If the death rate dropped to that of the common flu, we can go back to normal.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

We don’t do a thing, it’s very easy to think another 250,000 Americans are dead right now. That’s probably a low estimate.

5. Neutral Corner

The only good thing about Ga. opening back up (along with Fla., Tx., and Tenn.) is that they'll perform the experiment for the rest of us. If they get it in the neck, that will be a useful example to the rest of the states. The problem is that Fla, Tenn and Ga border Alabama, and the interstates are not blocked. Sigh.

OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

The problem with that is that curbside has costs that cut into profits as it is. Discounts make that problem worse.

8. Neutral Corner

Well, the rising death rates part of this equation will solve itself.

9. Neutral Corner

Good news out of England as well. Still a long way to an approved and effective vaccine, but there's hope. I'm pretty skeptical about drugs/vaccines early on in the process. Too many "promising" drugs early on never make it to human trials, let alone release.

10. Neutral Corner

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The hope I have with the Germans is they are moving on to human trials, mainly getting dosing calibrated. But you are 100 percent right. This vaccine offers no statistical protection or harms the person too much then this is gone. Still I chose to hope.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted