1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

These are two excellent points.
    We are not homogeneous like Japan or Germany or even as much as England. Which is why I get frustrated when others used to say “why can’t we be like them. “

Also the right to dissent and voice that is why I point to the First Amendment as our greatest strength as a nation. It’s also the hardest obstacle but the alternative is frightening.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry for the confusion.

By 'sense them leaning Trumpwise' I meant that one might mistake their position for agreement with conventional conservative politics. Taibbi surprising Alma upthread was an example of such.

My bad for the lack of clarity.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Libertarians are business conservatives who hate taxes but also love, love, love them some sweet ganja. That’s all.

Fred siegle likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I didn't write dissent was being overwhelmingly quashed.

I'm suggesting the liberal media is generally frustrated by having to explain itself and convince a skeptical public, and would tacitly prefer an environment where everybody just obeys a little better than Americans tend to do, where the world as it is seen in 10 major American cities is the same world seen in Kansas City, Salt Lake City, and the like. That those same cities would drive who wins and loses elections - and who runs Congress - than the irritating system that allows and electoral college and each state an equal vote in the Senate, which means - dammit! - you actually have to go to those flyover states and win elections by winning them over.

When you argue for a more coherent national message...like Germany...you're arguing for a nation 27 times bigger than Germany, that is far more culturally diverse than Germany, far more populated than Germany (and far more inhabitable than most of Canada is, since Canada is big, too) and also broken up into 50 states with governors, with these states being as different from each other as New York is from Nebraska, to be the same as Germany.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

“It’ll just disappear.” Nope.

The new coronavirus is likely to keep spreading for at least another 18 months to two years—until 60% to 70% of the population has been infected, a team of longstanding pandemic experts predicted in a report released Thursday.

They recommended that the US prepare for a worst-case scenario that includes a second big wave of coronavirus infections in the fall and winter. Even in a best-case scenario, people will continue to die from the virus, they predicted.
    "This thing's not going to stop until it infects 60 to 70 percent of people," Mike Osterholm, who directs the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at the University of Minnesota, told CNN.

"The idea that this is going to be done soon defies microbiology."​

Coronavirus pandemic misery expected to last two more years, says expert report - CNN

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yep.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

verchew signuling

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And yet there he is, saying it. On letterhead and everything. The head of the House Intelligence Committee. To the tech companies. Who are not a public space. NBD.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

When I'm arguing for a more coherent national message in the middle of a global health emergency, I'm arguing for a more coherent national message in the middle of a global health emergency.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The House of Representatives passes the laws that regulate companies engaged in interstate commerce. Questioning or commenting upon policies of those companies which impact the public welfare is part of the goddamn job. Congresspeople, Republicans and Democrats alike, issue such public comments on a wide variety of companies and it's strictly routine.

Fred siegle, HanSenSE and Driftwood like this.
  11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

64,035 cool points for this wait until the west coast blue checks see that lots of catching up to do

Azrael likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yah!

Draft saved Draft deleted