1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Like Germany.

So I pointed out the differences.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Germany has states.

Germany has competing local governments.

Germany has 80 million people.

Germany has lots of competing political factions.

Berlin and the Black Forest are very different.

yada yada yada

Again, I'm arguing for more coherent national messaging here in the United States.

Even with the many exceptions you cite - all of which are borrowed, I assume, from a desktop folder labeled "Why We Can't Have High Speed Rail Service in the US" - does that mean the US can't have more coherent national messaging regarding the virus? Messaging that stipulates your many exceptions?

Shall we do South Korea next?

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Maybe if you gave us a sense of what "more coherent national messaging" would look like to you. I mean, clearly, that would involve less of the Tangerine Buffoon standing behind a lectern/podium. But beyond that, what is you don't see that's lacking?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Gov. Cuomo just announced that New York public schools will remain closed the remainder of the academic year. Students will continue distance learning. He had previously only said that they would remain closed at least through May 15.

Here is the live video on YouTube. I'm not sure if it remains up as a recorded video when he is done speaking.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

A national standard -- backed by the rule of law -- for "reopening America" as opposed to the wet-noodle "guidelines" released by the Administration. That would be the obvious start.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

TigerVols likes this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'll wait to hear from @Azrael, but it sounds as if what y'all want goes well beyond mere messaging.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Obviously, Germany-ness.

Sweden has had a coherent national message. But Sweden = bad. (Until the WHO says it's good, which it kinda now has, so, science.)

10. Neutral Corner

11. Neutral Corner

Effective, science driven leadership. No chance of that with Trump at the helm.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Certainly it does. And it would be great if Maryland didn't have to send out the national guard to protect assets it purchased because of lagging federal response from federal seizure. Things of that nature.

Draft saved Draft deleted