1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

You’re forgetting that Trump has attempted to steal testing supplies bound for libruhl states. You’re forgetting that POTUS carries a leadership responsibility by setting the tone for national conduct. What has he done? He has given comfort to the enemy, the klan of protesters. In both cases, he has actively undercut the ability of the governors he dislikes to exercise the authority you claim is theirs alone.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Who could forget this, when Obama said "Forget it fatboy. I'll win this state in a couple of weeks without you. So you get nothing. That's my final offer."

[​IMG]

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Where's Antifa when you need it?

Let's get this rumble going!

lakefront likes this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Oh Mychigan

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You also have Trump winking and nodding at the protesters. You talk all this shit about bringing out the National Guard and cleaning out the armed MAGAists, only none of the governors would ever do that. Especially the Democrats, because they're afraid of the fallout. The only people on the left with the courage of their convictions are the Bernouts, only their convictions focus on the entirely wrong things right now.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm saying some Governor should make an overwhelming display of force at any subsequent demonstration or eventually one will end in bloodshed. Nobody knows yet who fired the first shot yet at Lexington Green 245 years ago. Unless these clowns are put in their place, something like that will happen again. An untrained demonstrator or an understandably nervous cop will fire one shot, likely by complete accident, and the bloodbath will be on. As a matter of public safety, including theirs, these armed guys cannot be tolerated.

HanSenSE and Driftwood like this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yet they are, and will continue to be. Because almost all elected Democrats are cowards.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Whitmer and Kemp have not approached this situation the same way. At all. Something accounts for the gap.

My understanding is that Barr has, in essence, warned states not to go too far in its stay-at-home orders. Personally, I'd rather that protest consistently came from the ground up - the citizens - but is there a First Amendment argument to be made that governors can't actually restrict worship and assembly? Yes. It is an argument that makes me a little uncomfortable - I'm a Romans 13 guy on most of the coronavirus protocol stuff - but, of course, there's an argument about what the ultimate authority is. Is it a governor? A public health director? The First Amendment?

When it comes to rights, we're getting down to brass tacks. What rights do we actually have and what can interrupt them?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think a police state demonstration - which is what you're calling for - makes it more likely something bad would happen. Of course I hope nothing bad happens.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Some good news here, most notably regarding the accuracy stats on the new Abbott machine that detects Covid-19 antibodies.

Coronavirus antibody tests now available at UAB

“We are very limited in the conclusions we can draw from these tests,” Lima told the UAB Reporter. “That’s the message we need to send.”

"Even if a person tests positive for the antibodies, that does not mean they are immune to the virus. Lima said we don’t know yet whether someone who has the antibodies can get COVID a second time."

"Lima said his lab can process around 200 tests per hour, with an average turnaround time of about 24 hours."

"There are several versions of the test on the market and UAB is using one manufactured by Abbott Laboratories. In addition, to Abbott’s testing process, UAB said it checked the accuracy of the tests against known COVID patients and old blood samples collected before the virus reached the United States. UAB said the tests found antibodies in all 73 known COVID patients who were tested at least 14 days after receiving their diagnosis. Out of 1000 older blood samples taken in 2019, which should be negative, the test returned only four positive results, probably the result of antibodies made to fight a similar virus."

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted