1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not the one recommending the Swedish model.

Smaller by population than Germany.

Smaller by population than South Korea.

Smaller by population than Taiwan.

Smaller by population than Georgia.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Don't see that happening, at least not in the discussions I've had with people in the know. My position is also unique to the organization so there's not anyone who can really do what I do. No one else in the office has that skill set. I will say that what we're missing out on by not being in the office is the sort of organic collaboration and idea generation that comes from just dropping into someone's office to chat for a bit.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Remdesvir is hella expensive, and there are plenty of viruses that we’ve not found an vaccine for. HIV and the common cold viruses are the obvious examples, but a vaccine for dengue fever has not only been impossible to find. The last trials for a dengue fever vaccine were abandoned in 2017 when the vaccine turned out to be worse than the disease.

What happens if a coronavirus vaccine is never developed? It's happened before - CNN

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Even if you triple the confirmed cases to account for what hasn’t been observed yet, that’s one percent of the U.S. population.

We’re not just in the first inning, the leadoff batter is at the plate with a 2-1 count.

Fred siegle likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

FWIW, the doctors and researchers working on the various vaccine projects are optimistic that a vaccine for this virus is possible because of its nature.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

garrow likes this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The craziest bit about this - should we open? should we not open? Really - the coronavirus will have the final word. And reopening before people are ready to be customers will hurt businesses about has bad as not being able to open. How many restaurants can have a profitable day when their capacity is maxed out at 25 to 35 percent? (And that's if every one of those seats are filled).

Fred siegle likes this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And our manager has never managed at the major league level, traded away all our all-stars and replaced them with yes men, made his idiot son-in-law the starting center fielder, diverted most of the payroll into his bank account, thinks the infield fly rule involves khakis, employed Ty Cobb (not the Hall of Famer).....

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It’s not.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'll let the EXPERTS at the WHO know how you feel.

As it stands, Georgia is doing a better job than Sweden.

Draft saved Draft deleted