1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And they'll do it just to virtue-signal to their lord and savior.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

My neighbors and I are happy to sacrifice ourselves in order to buy time for the rest of America to get their fucking hair cut and whine about wearing a mask.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So the Post has a new poll showing that a majority of Americans oppose reopening businesses and say they would not feel safe patronizing same. HOWEVER, the one business that had the highest percentage of those surveyed saying they should reopen, 41 percent, was golf courses.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

agree, the IHME model is (has been) optimistic

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess campgrounds are also in that mix, Gee, though for the most part shared facilities at campgrounds (restrooms, showers, etc.) should and will remain closed.

Not to beat a dead horse -- and yes, I am biased because I make my living in golf -- but as long as courses operate in a safe way, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be open. And the number of states mandating courses stay closed are quickly dwindling.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

we still don't know anything about this virus and what it does

15 Children Are Hospitalized With Mysterious Illness Possibly Tied to Covid-19

Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, tends to be much more dangerous for older people and those with underlying health conditions. Children are less likely to become seriously ill than adults. But some do. In New York City, six children have died of Covid-19, according to data from the health department.

Reports of children sick with the unexplained syndrome in New York City have been circulating for several days, but Monday’s bulletin was the first time the city’s health authorities warned doctors to be on the lookout for patients who might have it.

The bulletin said that most of the 15 children had a fever and many had a rash, vomiting or diarrhea. Since being hospitalized, five of them have needed a mechanical ventilator to help them breathe, and most of the 15 “required blood pressure support.”

“The full spectrum of disease is not yet known,” the bulletin said. Of the 15 patients, most either tested positive for the coronavirus or were found, through antibody testing, to likely have been previously infected.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Munchausen-syndrome-by-proxy - except instead of a deranged nanny or murder nurse, it's the president of the united states.

lakefront and garrow like this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We are one of the last ones here in Mass. If I had to guess, I would speculate that they'll be open by June 1.

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Yeah. We enjoy cruising. We will not be doing it for.....years, at least.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Right, we are still learning about what this virus does, where it came from, what antibodies people may have developed, etc.

I read yesterday about how in France they are going back to late last year and looking at people who came into hospitals complaining of what got diagnosed as flu-like symptoms. They found at least one guy who died in late December from coronavirus. He been living in France for years, had been to Algeria in August, 2019, and had never been to China. They believe now that the virus was probably circulating in France already late last year.

We will continue to learn new things about this and get our heads around what it does and how it spreads. Banking on miracles or therapies or a vaccine is not smart, because it's not just a matter of will or ingenuity, it takes a fair degree of luck and fortuitous timing.

What isn't guesswork at this point is that it is highly contagious and what always seemed like obvious mitigation efforts that could be tried to limit its spread and the number of deaths, work about the way common sense would have made most people think. Strong efforts to mitigate the spread would at least spread out the deaths from infection to buy time so that they could maybe be prevented when we learned more.

Unfortunately, while the virus is still spreading rapidly, and had barely penetrated some states, those states are "opening up," and with or without the state governments setting the tone to get people to take it seriously with directives, people already have been getting more lax about congregating. ... and not taking it seriously enough.

Because of the incubation period, there is a lag between how people behave and when you see the effects of that behavior, which I am afraid unfortunately means that in a few weeks, the death toll has the potential to be really high. I suspect many people will act like they didn't see it coming, because that is how we keep acting, and it boggles me. I also am guessing that if it plays out that way, people will suddenly start taking it seriously, and start staying away from restaurants and bars and crowded places after their behavior has already created the panic brought on by it spreading due to our lax behavior.

I feel like people have completely fallen prey to dopamine-controlled behavior where they can't look beyond the perceived immediate benefit of doing something, even when it means they are hurting themselves in the long term. In this case, it's kind of obvious, yet people can't help themselves. It depresses me.

12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted