1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Getting a handle on this invaluable information requires the contact tracing so far done in only a minute amount compared to the need.

sgreenwell and Jerry-atric like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

With the two people facing the same direction most of the time (one behind the other) and not facing one another. And the one thing touched . . . is thoroughly washed.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The British government announced today that it would be relaxing some lock-down rules from Monday.

Pleasant, yes.... But we've had the highest death rate in Europe - even after getting a sneak peak of what was happening in Spain and Italy. I don't have any confidence of us averting a second wave if it's on the cards.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    There has been too much violence. Too much pain. But I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Give me your masks, the beef, the sanitizer, and the toilet paper, and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away and we'll give you a safe passageway in the wastelands. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.

/wrong lord
    //don't care

6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Seriously? Whoever is cutting your hair is right over your head, usually talking. He or she is looking directly down at your face when they wash your hair. And, usually, walk around you to make sure the sides are even, leaning in to get a good look. I think this is a prime transmission scenario IF either is infected.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

No one who cuts your hair is doing it from more than an arm's length away. Generally it's a bent arm, so figure their face is two to three feet from yours. And at least half of the time they are facing you, not behind you. They breathe all over you, unless they're holding their breath while they cut your hair. I can't recall anyone who cut my hair who did that, personally.

2' < 6'.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Hair salons opened in most of the state here last week and will in metro Denver on Saturday. You must have an appointment and the stylist/barber and the customer must wear face masks.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just because things were done X way doesn't mean things have to be done X way.

Two months ago I was not standing behind plexiglass at the grocer, inserting my credit card in a machine covered in plastic and getting my receipt from someone wearing gloves. Businesses adapt. Heck, you can lay a towel over someone's face while they're leaning back getting their hair washed.

And since I assume most places will require both customer and employee to wear masks, that reduces transmission chances by 98-99 percent, according to a post here a couple days ago.

My red state is at least three weeks from such.

Logic dictates that is not true, given the percentage of each side of the face covered by hair.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The thing is, though, the waitresses and hairdressers have to agree with them about their need to work, even if they really don't want to do so.

This is the problem: People actually do need money, etc. People already have their "freedom." That's not what they need. They need their jobs, unfortunately.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's as good as it will likely get, although I'd add gloves on the stylist given the choice. I have observed that many people wearing the standard blue over the ear surgical masks tend to pull them down under their nose to make it easier to breathe, though, which defeats the purpose.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

From the same story, posted without comment:

Medically, the best possible response to the virus might be to keep Americans in their houses and apartments for months upon months. But that’s just not physically, economically, socially, or psychologically possible.

Jerry-atric likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted