1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Agreed. I may have posted this before but my son and his fiancee who live in NYC went to spend Christmas with her mom, who lives in Maui and is a concierge at one of the big hotels there, Hyatt I think. They flew through LAX. When they got back, in early-mid January they both had wicked bad cases of what they thought was the flu, bad enough my son went to a doctor twice. This was before the virus was supposed to be in NYC, but I wonder if maybe that's what it was. Antibody testing would be relevant here, but of course they won't get it for months if ever.

MileHigh likes this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

With most schools closed for the year - and many businesses reopening, how are parents supposed to figure out what to do with their kids? A lot of those glorified daycare "day camps" that keep kids busy during the summer are also staying shut.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Just saw a change.org petition for a woman who is mad the high school outs doing a virtual graduation in June instead of something later in the year. Never mind a lot of the kids will be going off to college and would miss a later graduation. But she's not thinking about college bound kids. I had her little angel in class, he's bound for a 4-year community college.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Trying to reason with some parents and graduation even under normal circumstances is like reasoning with folks demanding more JV soccer coverage.

At my last stop, a freak thunderstorm hit during graduation and it was immediately cancelled. School got so many parental complaints they couldn't get a photo of little Breanna crossing the stage they held a second ceremony when the weather cleared.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Spartan Squad likes this.
  8. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Timing's a little off for your son and his fiancee, but the amount of people who now wonder if they were infected in January is growing. Here's some of them:
    Was Sundance a "First Petri Dish" of Coronavirus in the States?

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Interesting read from a woman with a PhD in microbiology and immunology about the spread.

https://erinbromage.wixsite.com/cov...JUOlfkRfR1snCearyJzuSstVAtuqlcdoHeyoP03A4vizg

The high-level takeaways, which are not all that surprising:
    * Your chances of getting COVID through any sort of outdoor airborne contact are pretty low, simply because the virus doesn't have enough time to make it inside your body. Obvious caveat is if you get sneezed or coughed on directly.
    * Your chances of getting it on your weekly grocery run are fairly low, but still sanitize, wash your hands and avoid touching your face in the store. Risks obviously go up for workers who spend more time inside the store.
    * Public bathrooms ... be very careful and maybe avoid going into them until a few minutes have passed since the previous person was in there. A toilet, for instance, can release a huge amount of lingering particles into the air on one flush.
    * Any tightly packed venue is going to be bad news bears. Same with office situations, factory floors, etc. Social distancing just isn't that effective inside.

The post kind of put my mind at ease on being outside, along with other things that have been reported that the virus struggles to live on surfaces in direct sunlight for any length of time.

cyclingwriter2 and SFIND like this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

I wonder if New England summer resort towns will do this summer and do what some European cities have done, close their main streets to let restaurants set up outdoors. Of course, many such restaurants also have parking lots they could use for this purpose.

11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I was quite sick, with chest pain but no mucus, in January after returning from a trip overseas.

12. Michael_ Gee

It is not uncommon for people to get sick after New Year's, but there are so many stories like yours and my son's that I have a hard time believing they're all coincidental. And one thing they have learned about this virus is that it has a wide range of symptoms, not all of which appear in each patient.

Mngwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted