1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

And the “reporter” who asked Trump about it at his press conference works for Newsmax. Her previous stop was Mike Gundy’s favorite channel, One America News.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Stay out of the self-cleaning oven. If you can.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

A coalition of regional health authorities put out an estimate of how many people have been saved by an active shelter in place. Two things: it's a press release so it's biased in that we didn't have a number cruncher double checking the claims (but it's done by health officials so I'm cutting some slack) and two it's disconcerting to think (assuming the numbers are right) this could go away with states opening up too soon.

With 30 days of SIP in place, 1.5 million people avoided being hospitalized and nearly 160,000 lives nationwide have been saved.

New Estimates From BCHC Show Stay At Home Orders Prevented Hospitalizations and Saved Lives — Big Cities Health Coalition

4. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Then support your point. . .It's a meaningless contention unless you define the words "hating" and "country". It's why you get accused of being a Trumper at times, because it's a straight up right wing talking point. Because it is meaningless. What does it even mean for someone to "hate where they live"? Like, they hate the geography? The weather? The physical shape of the border? Otherwise, you are defining a country by its people, and its government. If so, yeah, a lot of people hate Trump, and, yeah, they twist themselves into knots in order to stay on the opposite side of him. But it was the same with the right and Obama. And the left and Bush. And the right and the Clintons. Except, with the right, it is never considered "hating where you live." Being anti-abortion despite what country's law says isn't "hating where you live." Marching through the streets strapped to the nines to protest the government isn't "hating where you live." Wearing a hat that says, "Make America Great Again," isn't hating where you live.

Isn't it possible that, despite your protestations, you identify and sympathize more with the conservative rendering of an ideal "place to live" than the liberal rendering, and so it feels to you like liberals "hate where they live," because America for most of its history has looked more like the conservative rendering than the liberal rendering?

Aside from the kooky extreme 5-10 percent, I think most who are left of center would tell you that they love America and want it to be a better version of itself. If you're the "love it or leave it" type, then I disagree with how you are defining "hate." Does a parent who disciplines a child love that child any less than a parent who ignores a child's flaws and misdeeds in order to proclaim to the world how much he loves him/her?

I agree that many/most on the left are driving themselves crazy because of Trump and Trumpers, and the Silver/corona stuff is an example of it. But that's a lot different from "hating where they live."

SFIND, swingline, Deskgrunt50 and 7 others like this.
  5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

When baseball tested 600 random employees, players included, and about 1% came back with antibodies... Well, that’s not good for a potential baseball season and us getting out of this anytime soon.

I was hoping for 10-20% by now.

6. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

One interesting thing about that model is that it shows the number of additional hospitalizations and deaths avoided as declining the longer the shutdown stays in effect. That is, there are more hospitalizations/deaths avoided by the first 30 days than by the second 30 days, and more by day 31-45 than by day 46-60 (which suggests that at some point, the benefits of staying shut down will be outweighed by the costs). That's for the total of all the cities combined, and most of them individually, but it isn't true for every city - the model shows Boston getting the most benefit in days 46-60, and New York's benefit seems to peak in days 31-45. Since I assume the virus was more established in NYC and Boston before the shutdown than it was in, say, Austin, it may be that the model suggests (or is built on the idea) that a longer shutdown helps more in cities where the virus is already well established, and that if you shut down early, you don't need to stay closed as long.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's the big problem. We did a pretty good job of putting the fear of god into people and they sheltered, but the crashing economy and lack of cash and any assurance that they won't lose their housing or will be able to feed their kids (and boredom and sheer stupidity) is pushing them back out. Plain and simple, we have not had a big enough die off to scare people badly enough to make believers of them. Sure, New York and New Jersey have, but there are many states where the total death toll is still in the hundreds. They've accumulated ten or fifteen at a time over a couple of months. It's not near enough and scary enough to put the fear of Corona into the local yammerheads. Even California is still under 3,500, and as populous as Cali is, that's not enough to make a dent in the dumb and the willful disbelievers.

We're opening back up. There will be outbreaks. Some of them will get big enough to force rolling shelter in place orders. I can't help but think that we'll be fighting this thing for months, if not years, to come.

SFIND likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I have weeks/months/years of posts outlining all kinds of things. I have to encapsulate all that in a post for your consumption?

The right has an equal, ferocious contempt for the nation; that’s part of how we got Trump. Whatever they say about how much they love America, their contempt for its leaders is off the charts. You don't put Trump in there if you're feeling good about the direction of the nation.

Is it possible you know my own motivations better than I do? I guess. I don't think so. I know who and what I've voted for and who I'm going to vote for. I think I've been to enough Jefferson/Jackson dinners - the name of this dinner has been changed, but that was their name when I went - to understand what liberalism and Democrats used to be. What it is becoming - what, increasingly, it is now - concerns me more because the far and even medium right has long been callous to common sense and humility. I think Twitter has dangerously accelerated the rhetoric because the medium appeals to narcissism. Much as the right snatched up talk radio and control it, the left has found its voice on Twitter. Do you think talk radio has produced a net benefit in America? I don't.

As for what they'd say about loving America after rounds of rigorous, unceasing critique...eh. My sense is, that level of grievance just isolates the petitioners over time, and, having found that the rhetorical leveraging was only so effective, look at other means.

I think what's most likely is that you just don't agree with me. Which is fine. Maybe I'm wrong - I've been wrong before, will be wrong again - and you're right. My sense is our awareness of every bad thing is greater than ever, the financial incentive to critique, be it through political journalism or activist advocacy organizations, is greater than ever, and that leads somewhere not good. We have an aristocracy - political leaders, financial leaders, celebrities - so deeply absorbed by their reflection in the mirror that we're often rudderless. I suspect it will come to a head. America has very little, at this point, to bind it together. This parent/child analogy doesn't relate for me. Maybe you see the nation as your child. I don't.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Translation: You can't or won't support your point.

Part of the problem is most of us don't believe what you post about your motivations or who you vote for. Your constant attacks on liberals/Democrats make that impossible to believe.

Anybody who claims the other side just hates America is being an idiot.

Your response to daemon's analogy was idiotic. I don't think you are really stupid enough to misunderstand his point that badly, but maybe you did. Either it sailed way over your head or you went for the cheap line rather than engaging intelligently.

Mr. Sluggo likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I believe that the poster Alma wrote that he votes for Democrats for president and many “Re-scrub-licans” (my word for them) in his home elections. He is not a Trump supporter.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, who is behind the sock puppet?

Fred siegle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted