1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We simply cannot have this! There must be a female teacher texting a student somewhere out there.

poindexter likes this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

According to LA County department of health, cases from care/incarceration facilities
    Staff infected: 2480
    Residents infected: 5135
    Total deaths: 745

LA County total cases: about 33,000
    LA County total deaths: 1,613

EDIT: The county's site doesn't break down deaths by age, only cases. News sites have some numbers, but it's all over the place.

EDIT TO THE EDIT: The numbers also include detention facilities. I didn't include that the first time.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

There are two things that keep me going with the demographic argument. One, even though it obviously impacts older people more (I don't like the underlying conditions as much because, heck, most people have some sort of underlying condition and many illnesses also impact them so the risk is always there) is that it still can do really, really bad things to people who aren't in that demographic. At least for adults it's still a sizable risk that's greater than other illnesses and none of us want to find out if we are lucky enough to fall into that category. Two, with the demographic at hand we all know and care for people that fall into it. I don't want to be the one who gets my mom sick or someone else's dad. None of us really do. And again, with the unseen risk and all the unknowns we talk about, it is all just a sticky situation.

I agree with much of what you say. Still for now those risks are still too much for me. People will bounce back. We always have. As much as I dislike it as well, I still lean toward that better safe than sorry mode.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Blunt instruments are being used because at present, that's all we have. We could test, trace and isolate like Asian countries, but we lack the capacity as of now.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Suffolk County, on the eastern end of Long Island has had 1,639 coronavirus deaths. The population is about of Suffolk County is about 1.5 million people. It is very similar in population and physical size to Sacramento County, which has had 49 deaths. So Suffolk County has had 1,590 more deaths than Sacramento County. If we open up and apply the same ratios to the entire country we would be looking at hundreds of thousands of additional deaths, mostly in a specific demographic. That's who we are "protecting".

I know that is very crude math, especially since Sacramento County has not been hit that hard, but I think the point is valid.

Signed

A Fat, 62 Year Old Man With Atrial Fib.

Roscablo likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm a little more comfortable with restrictions than you.

But who are we protecting? Well, the demographic least affected. Rich people. Poor and minority folks are dying anyway. Rich people are not, by and large, in the kind of homes where the disease has spread, they don't work in packing plants or service industries, they don't have landlord or banks breathing down their necks, and they seem unusually concerned with whether we stack up with Canada. Or something.

Hey - credit where it's due. California's done well with this from a death standpoint. It's a big state, and it has some advantages in that way, and it's only moderately done better than that awful, no-good Florida, but it's done well. I'm guessing the political leaders want to keep that way, and will, and the costs (financial and otherwise) will never be borne by them. You seen any wailing from Hollywood actors to get back to work? Of course not.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Actually, Sacramento County has 2.5 times the population density of Suffolk, which makes the death rates even more out of whack.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That’s going to piss off the people the DeVos family have been hiring to demonstrate.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And that is absolutely pathetic.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My issue with this, as genuine as it may sound, is that it comes down to people who don't have to worry about money are getting restless because the places they want to go are closed. They want them to open up and "put people back to work and get the economy restarted," but what they really want is the poor to serve them. If the rich get sick, they will have the best care money can buy to save them. If the poor get sick, they have to hope they can get beds and hope they don't go bankrupt by the treatment.

This nonsense of "let's not live in fear" is just code for "let's spread the disease until we all have it and if a few people die along the way, they had something else wrong with them." Basically, let's have the strong survive and we'll be better for it. There was another group who thought this way and it led to nearly 300,000 "those with something else wrong with them" being removed from burdening the state.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia Suffolk County has 912 square miles of land area and Sacrament County 965 square miles. Suffolk does have about 1,400 square miles of water.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

You are correct. I didn't look at the land mass. Just the total.

Draft saved Draft deleted