1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What if the lockdowns aren’t what’s hurting business?

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It's almost like there is this Big Scary Thing out there, and until it is handled, most people are going to reduce their spending. Like, Planet Money had economists on... two months ago, that said practically the same thing. That basically, injecting money into the economy at that point was silly, because nobody was going to be spending until they knew the extent of the pandemic and where their money was *actually* needed.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This ought to be obvious. If people are told there's a scary disease out there which passes from human to human and for which there is no cure nor treatment, many, probably most, are going to reduce avoidable contacts no matter what their government does or doesn't do.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Jerry-atric likes this.
  5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

If someone sneezes in your face you most certainly can. It's about volume as well as time. A shit ton of droplets flying into your eyes, nose and mouth is a danger factor. However, truly casual contact and even a normal conversation of a minute or two do seem to be low risk.

OscarMadison and Jerry-atric like this.
  6. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I would be very frustrated if someone sneezed in my face despite the known risk of COVID-19.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I still have horrible visions of when my wife trimmed the bushes in front of our house.

Haircut version looked something like this:

[​IMG]

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

go awaaaaaaaaaay

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

So, with the long incubation period, the USA has entered one vast uncontrolled experiment. Will opening up lead to a big second surge?

Find out in two weeks or so.

sgreenwell and Jerry-atric like this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That is one of the funniest Leave it to Beaver episodes ever!!

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Be prepared for a renewed (for the third or fourth time) attack on China. The phrase "Wuhan Virus" will enjoy another peak of use.
    There has to be an outlet for Trumpist rage.
    When Gov. Trumpfluffer opened Georgia a couple of weeks ago, the AJC had reporters walking around Midtown. They found next to no commercial activity even though retail had been re-opened. Small sample size, of course. New unemployment claims went up this week after a decline.

Draft saved Draft deleted