1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

2. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

That is the truest statement in this entire mess.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Tell it to the unemployed in Florida who are trying to negotiate Rick Scott's version.

Mngwa and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think it's much too soon to tell.

It certainly didn't help keep people at home when that would have made a bigger difference.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

About a dozen states haven’t even started paying it out yet.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Coronavirus Vaccine Trial by Moderna Shows Promising Early Results

Didn't see any one post this. I was surprised. Moderna is saying their vaccine is showing really good results in humans.

They were the earliest one to get into controlled studies, and they are now in Phase 2 trials. They dosed 45 people with 25, 100 or 250 micrograms of their mRNA vaccine. After receiving a second booster shot, those at the 25 and 100 microgram dosages were found to have antibody levels equal to or greater than those found in patients who had recovered from covid-19. And they are saying that they are finding it to be safe and well tolerated.

The news is generating a lot of excitement, and it's great news. With the caveats that it needs to still go through Phase III trials on a larger scale, and I believe they still don't know if the virus may mutate in ways to create strains that their specific antibodies can't bind to, rendering the vaccine ineffective. And of course, producing hundreds of millions of doses of the stuff can't happen overnight.

All of that said, unlike a lot of the miracle cure hope, this is really positive if (always an if) what Moderna put out today didn't gild the lily.

TigerVols and lakefront like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

We'll see. I don't mean to play pessimist, but I've seen too many promising vaccines fail to make it to final approval. I'm certain that a CV vaccine will get approved even with flaws that would get an ordinary vaccine candidate rejected, but I remain in the skeptical camp until it clears the approval process. At that point we hit the manufacturing and distribution bottleneck.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

A Moderna exec recently left the company to be the vaccine czar for the Trump White House. His financial stake in the company is worth $10 million. I smell a rat. And not the kind you test on.
    Also: Wall Street is going gaga for an initial report based on eight test subjects? Eight?

lakefront likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

10. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

Yes, eight out of 45. This was hardly worth a $20 bump in the price of the stock pre-market opening.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Wall St. is desperate for a vaccine. Any company that announces a positive test result will get a ridiculous bump. Hell, if Xi Jinping announces China's had positive tests the whole market will jump up. This is beyond saying, "we think things will get back to what they were like before relatively quickly" to "things HAVE to get back to where they were" a sentiment frantically searching for any validation it can find.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted