1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is your posting style on here encapsulated in one post.

No, it's not "some thinktank in Philly." It's a lab run by Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and the University of Pennsylvania's Hospital that has a data-based Covid-19 tracking system.

COVID-Lab: Mapping COVID-19 in Your Community | PolicyLab

They recommend evidence-based solutions by first gathering actual case data across nearly 400 U.S. counties, and then using their infectious disease expertise, and their burgeoning knowledge of this virus' spread given how places are behaving, to project cases over the coming weeks. Based on that data-driven process, they make public health recommendations that policymakers should be, but aren't, considering.

But you chose to harp on the headline of something someone wrote about it and ignore the meat of the article.

"Some thinktank in Philly." Just part of endless "thinktank" stuff the WH gets handed that isn't any more important than that other silly thinktank stuff those egghead types waste everyone's time with, eh?

I'm amazed that anyone with a modicum of intelligence can look at that and not be saddened.

Places all over this county have ignored all scientific data, and evidence-based guidelines, in favor of reckless and impetuous behavior. It has boded for a lot of unnecessary sickness and death. But knowledge, reason, evidence and science get treated with outright contempt. Worse, many leaders who have had the forum to create a sense of importance among the general populace about the virus, are not only choosing to treat facts and evidence like they are opinions, they are taking it a step further to try to replace the evidence-based things that demonstrate their recklessness. ... with lies, distortions, fudging and false narratives.

We have made ourselves into a nation of idiots with a disdain for expertise and reason. That tracking system is now suggesting that places that acted accordingly are facing a significant resurgence of infections and possible deaths that could have been avoided.

But the headline on the Daily Beast article is what we should focus on.

Wow, indeed.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  3. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

Great piece on the Rachel Maddox Show last night that illustrates how illogical and clueless some of our government is. Weld County in Colorado put together a questionnaire for employees of a meatpacking plant there that has already had eight deaths. There was a series of questions about a person's likely exposure to the virus, things like, Do you work next to a person who has shown (certain) symptoms, or Do you travel to work with a person who has symptoms, etc.? The kicker is that at the bottom of the survey, it notes in bold, if you answer yes to any of these questions, you are not eligible to be tested.

Brilliant. That'll keep the numbers down.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

SFIND, Webster, Matt1735 and 5 others like this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

qtlaw and garrow like this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I thought this was an excellent interview, despite the interviewers doing their same old bubbleTV act.

This, in my opinion, is the kind of person we should be listening to right now.

@tapintoamerica immediately questioned the Moderna release regarding their vaccine when I posted about it on Monday. He was prescient. The whole thing really is fishy, from how Moncef Slaoui may have profited from the announcement (he was selling his stake in Moderna to take on a job in Trump's administration) in what looks like a possible pump and dump. ... to Moderna rushing to do a secondary public offering after the announcement and get the thing priced and sold before the dump could fully play out.

Same thing with Gilead, and their fuzzy announcements regarding Remdesivir, which the interviewee brings up. Whether these are examples of manipulation to try to create manias in their stocks, or whether it's politicians wanting to offer answers, even false ones, to a scared public, these big annoucements based on absolutely nothing tangible really misinform the public, which doesn't look beyond the headline.

The science is only good if its integrity is kept intact, and we don't sell false things as science because they fit a narrative or advance someone's corrupt motives. Unfortunately, there is so much of that going on, that it's impossible for most people to wade through it.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The headline is wrong. On the heels of the NYT wrongly reporting that the WH had embraced internal report projections it had not through Johns Hopkins, I found it notable.

I don’t know what you call a project that, by its own admission, tracks data then makes suggestions to policymakers. But if you don’t call it a thinktank, OK, fine.

Long back I expressed concerns - and still have concerns - about southern states. So it bothers me when stories put their thumb on the scale with a BS headline.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Doesn't look good, but I don't understand the title. Is "% of new cases that are positive" the percentage of tests that are positive or something else? How could 93% or whatever of new cases not be positive?

By the way, Georgia's case numbers in the too-recent-to-be-final last-two-weeks period are starting to look worrying, different from how they looked a few days ago.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

OK, the PAST SEVEN DAYS aren't so great, but how about before the past seven days? You know, taking EVERYTHING into consideration?

Hint: It's in the third paragraph:

And then there's the fourth paragraph (which may answer your question):

And finally . . .

Anything for a "gotcha."

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted