1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Alabama's R0 is up to 1. That's the number I'm watching, that and the seven day increase.

2. Neutral Corner

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The data on clusters from the NYT is interesting.
    Of the clustered (≥50 cases were per site) in nursing homes and similar rehab facilities, 74% come in Democratic states.
    Trumpist states account for 58% of clustered cases in jails and prisons and 69% of such cases in food-processing facilities.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  4. Neutral Corner

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The racial imbalances in the numbers are about to equalize in a bigly way.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

seasonality?

maybe

Projecting the transmission dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 through the postpandemic period

It is urgent to understand the future of severe acute respiratory syndrome–coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) transmission. We used estimates of seasonality, immunity, and cross-immunity for human coronavirus OC43 (HCoV-OC43) and HCoV-HKU1 using time-series data from the United States to inform a model of SARS-CoV-2 transmission. We projected that recurrent wintertime outbreaks of SARS-CoV-2 will probably occur after the initial, most severe pandemic wave. Absent other interventions, a key metric for the success of social distancing is whether critical care capacities are exceeded. To avoid this, prolonged or intermittent social distancing may be necessary into 2022.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Our local race track opened back up last night, and from all reports it was a packed sell out.

North Carolina might (I hope) be coming around from a GOP lock to a tossup. There are plenty of of Trumpers out there, but if voter turnout is good in the cities - if it's not suppressed - the numbers look favorable. Trust me, I've heard a million times "Them liberals in Raleigh." but I think Cal Cunningham has a shot at knocking off Tillis, and Burr could be headed to jail. Now that the state isn't so badly gerrymandered, that's a plus, too.

BTExpress likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Shoving sick elderly folks back into nursing homes to infect the whole joint and kill a bunch of folks would be one thing to avoid.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So noted.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Colorado had its highest case total in two weeks reported on Saturday. And also the single-highest reported day of tests.

I've said before, it's about the positive percentage figure of those tests. The seven-day rolling average statewide yesterday was 9.7 percent. At its peak it was 29 percent.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted