1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Testing hasn't increased everywhere the infections are rising.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Tough one for Trumpists. This news plays into their beliefs that this thing is overrated. On the other hand, it comes from the WHO, from which the lord and savior has pledged to withdraw. Such a dilemma.

Spartan Squad and Patchen like this.
  3. John

John Well-Known Member

Many thanks to all for the kind words and support. I brought a decent amount of food from home, both for safety reasons and to cut down on the costs. So far so good after nine hours on the road. I won't reach the mountains until Wednesday (Georgia is a very long way from the Rockies). It was nice to be out of the house all day even if I was just on the interstate.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

People's aversion to agonizing illness and death has not decreased , I'm betting. If places have severe outbreaks, people will change their behaviors regardless of what governments do, as folks did in Florida in March.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Quit rooting for the disease, Michael!

OscarMadison and SFIND like this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The problem is often what governments don't do. Specifically, Trumpist governors in Georgia and Florida have refused to tell their citizens the truth about the extent of the virus.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone else find this really odd? Georgia Governor Brian Kemp was destroyed for suggesting he'd "just learned" about asymptomatic spread in the first week of April. I hope this is right, but it just seems wrong to me.

First, dont wear a mask. Now, wear a mask.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As always, wait for the second version. WHO counts "asymptomatic spread" as people who NEVER show any symptoms, not, as has been commonly assumed by governments and other health organizations, people who don't have symptoms WHEN they spread the disease but who then develop them.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Ah ok, thank you

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If true, it is great news because people who are unaware they were infected can't unknowlingly spread the virus. However, the key quote from the scientist is "From the data, IT SEEMS..." Or they are seeing a pattern that they need to test more. But I'm not going to be a dick about it and hope it really is as simple as feel sick-stay home to beat this.

And as Justin mentioned, there is a sizeable amount of people who are saying "I'll risk it."

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't think so.

Seems like they're treating them the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted