1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

According to the guy who came up with the policy:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2020/06/06/sweden-covid-19-no-lockdown-update-black-pkg-vpx.cnn

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I think everyone expects at least a minor second spike or surge in regions outside those already hard hit. I really want and pray that there's no huge second spike come the fall.

That being said, if this happens, the penny is going to drop with the GOP that it's their voters who're being worst hit - the older males. At that point, the lock-down brakes are going to be jammed hard.

Also, if things get out of control by the Republican convention in August, you have to wonder if there'll be a draft Romney movement?

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes. And I'm sure they all respect our social contract by never driving above the posted speed limit. That would be dangerous.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

as opposed to making them honor the oaths they took.

You can explain yourself again when Florida is hammered in weeks.

This thing isn't going away; you cannot 'put it on ignore' and just fukin hope for the best

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You can do that. It just means sacrificing lives for the sake of the economy.

6. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I sure hope COVID 19 is not out of control.

7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Sadly, I agree with outofplace. Sometimes such a sacrifice is necessary, unfortunately.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What does it matter? Whatever happens you claim victory.

People die: "We told you so!"
    People don't die: "We don't believe you! Quit hiding your dead!"

9. 3_Octave_Fart

I'm going by what I've read from Krugman and other experts. Check your history. The economy roared back to life after the 1918 flu.

If you're in the gig economy, I expect you're screwed. Who wants to be a freelancer right now? I sure as hell don't.

I don't look around the river bend with this shit- I thank the big guy every night that I still have a damned job.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You could be right. But if seniors and people with pre-existing conditions are at significant mortality risk from the virus, and they are, they are going to be correspondingly more reluctant to fully re-enter normal life. That's like 30 percent of the population. Kind of a drag on growth. Going to sports events, bars, concerts and the movies are things I love. I am increasingly coming to terms with the idea I will never do any of them again.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

"That ... is why you fail."

Exactly something one of the overfed Trump supporters at the rallies would say.

2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

You first, Bubba.

Draft saved Draft deleted