1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music Thread (post a song)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My kids like Sabrina Carpenter, and are always singing that song, so that’s how I know it’s the song of the summer.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Five versions - Raitt had the original - written by former Bengal lineman Mike Reid /crossthread. But its such a great song. Watched a video of Reid talking about writing the song, said it was a six-month process. Usually you hear songs this good and learn they are written in less than a day. I'd love to know I wrote something this good - that was still amazing 30 years later. These are all great.

And Reid himself.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2024
  3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I love Bonnie Raitt so much. "Love Me Like a Man" is the sexiest song ever, especially played and sung by an up-and-coming Bonnie. Goodness.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Pink Floyd - "Dogs"

5. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

6. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

This came out when I was 16 and got some radio play. I liked it and “Boom Boom Mancini” but didn’t know much about Zevon.

Learned much much later that he used REM members as his backing band around this time, and more recently (it’s obvious when I listen) that Neil Young plays lead on this one.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Such a fantastic song "Stella the Begonia" by Rubblebucket ... from Vermont.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Least expensive video ever? Just roll an iPhone 15 on a tripod for 3:46.

Songbird likes this.
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Zevon's Hindu Love Gods one-off album with the REM guys - except Michael Stipe - was a fun record with a dynamite cover of "Raspberry Beret".

Tighthead likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Fourth of July - makes me think of the Count! :) He's really in a weird place musically, not as respected as others - very much a tweener between big band and jazz, too commercial I guess. Him with Sinatra at the Sands is an all-timer.

Huggy likes this.
  11. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I many have posted this one here before, so if so, apologies. But I also just love this song so much and I'm always going to be the guy who tries to turn on as many people to Dave Hause as I can.

When I saw Dave with his trio last summer, he had a local guy open for him. That guy was at the bar before the show and I overheard him talking to a friend of his. And I loved what he said about Dave: "I have nothing on this guy. I watched him at soundcheck, and he's Springsteen, he's Tom Petty, like that. This guy has real songs. He can really write."

I think of that a lot. I love Dave Hause but not that many people know about him. And there are supremely talented people everywhere. This thread is a great example. Glad it is here.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Frank live at the Sands with the Basie band (conducted by Quincy Jones) is one of the great live albums in any genre. (Though a lot of Frank's on-stage banter hasn't aged well.)

Draft saved Draft deleted