1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music Thread (post a song)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Wondering who this good-looking bloke Nick Heyward was who had two songs in the UK Top 200 of 1983. He was the lead singer of Haircut One Hundred (or however it's styled).

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not a song, but there's a cool Spotify playlist going around right now called "Artist's Best Songs". Essentially, people have gone into the subreddits of bands and artists and asked that particular sub (r/acdc, for instance) to pick their band's best song. It's come up with some interesting results. I don't think I'd ever heard Queen's Innuendo before I listened on this playlist, and I have to admit, it's a pretty damn good song. Pretty sure it's a dynamic list that is added to whenever another subreddit is polled.

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

While The Gaslight Anthem's reunion album was received warmly by critics and mostly by fans, a clear number of audiohead fans didn't like the production of the record, saying that parts, including Brian Fallon's lead vocals, were too muddled or muffled.

It seems the band listened, today releasing a full digital remix of the album, which came out in the Fall. They said in their announcement they liked the mix for vinyl, but felt like over time, the digital version didn't hold up. The vocals do indeed sound cleaner and more prominent as well as a lot of the instrumentation. I admit, I'm a Gaslight hack and really like Brian's work, solo and otherwise, but I thought this was a very cool thing for the band to do. This is going to sound very, very stupid, but I feel pretty valued by the band for being a fan of them. They've left the original mix out there in the world as well, and offered fans free downloads of the remix, which came as an expanded version this morning with the additional EP they had released a few months ago. Good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOnkc9y4N-euNbMrBE9TeCrC0nWujepMu

Band announcement: The Gaslight Anthem on Instagram: "Hello, fun news in TGA land... We decided to remix History Books in its entirety, the Expanded Edition is out now. When we first mixed it, we were blown away by how incredible it sounded on the vinyl test presses. That original mix still holds up beautifully on vinyl, and we wouldn’t dream of changing it. However, when the album came out digitally, it didn’t quite hit the mark we were aiming for. So, we decided to remix it specifically for digital release. We aren’t doing any represses of the vinyl, BUT if you happened to buy the MP3s, CD or got the songs digitally, we’ve got the new version of it here for you, so download away at the link in bio Along with this new expanded edition... we’re beyond stoked to give you a new version of “Little Fires” with @bullythemusic. We’re huge fans of Alicia, and we’re so pleased with what she made we hope to work more with her in the future!! And for all you vinyl lovers – while we don’t have a new vinyl press for the whole album, we’ve got a limited-edition webstore only 7” for the History Books: Short Stories in translucent sea blue! Check it out at the link in bio along with a few new merch items. We’re just wrapping up our tour in Europe, and it’s been beyond amazing. Lots of memories made and good hangs. Can’t believe it’s only TWO WEEKS until we start the History Books Tour in Denver!!! We’re having @joycemanorofficial, @pinkshiftmd, and @thedirtynil come along with us to this party, and we just can’t wait. LET’S GOOOOO!"

Edit: Sorry, didn't know the IG link would post like that.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Could be a d_b. If so, it's a good d_b ... ... ... Hillbilly heavy metal!

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I love Lake Street Dive, and their new album is fantastic. But this song is them at their absolute best — just strip it all down and let Rachael, one of the best singers working today, do her thing:

FileNotFound and Neutral Corner like this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Been a while, why not?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Tougher to digest - Billy Joel playing Highway to hell, Playing the guitar, or Axl Rose wearing sequins?

8. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I think this is my personal high water mark of hate the original/like the cover.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Definitely Billy Joel, because he's never really been that kind of guy. Guns N' Roses was always adjacent to and came up in the L.A. glam rock / metal scene, and their music isn't that dissimilar - Hard and fast, but more melodic.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I saw Joel play Highway to Hell at the Garden in 2016 (one of his roadies handled the vocals). I thought it was pretty cool

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Dawes’ new album comes out in October. The first single is going away from their jam band turn back to bar band of the 2008-2012 era.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I might've posted this before but I don't care. I found Mark Knopfler's stuff before Money for Nothing and I love these 2 songs:

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted