1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music Thread (post a song)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 15, 2021.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"Two men say they're Jesus -- one of them must be wrong!"

Knopfler's written some great songs and lyrics over the years. "Industrial Disease" and his song about Ray Kroc are two standouts.

Twirling Time likes this.
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Supposedly that “Skateaway” video is the one the creators of MTV showed to investors to convince them music videos were an art form that could sustain a channel.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The banjo and stand-up bass were totally expected. But not the squeeze box!

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Try this on for size. Medley of not what you expect bluegrass. Nothing like beatboxing through the fiddle solo.

5. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

I've always liked this Knopfler tune. Sport-related, too.

Machine Head and I Should Coco like this.
  6. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Sturgill full set from Outside Lands

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I was reminded again today about the value of tracking down a songwriter's original (and live) recording(s) of a hit song you have just discovered was a cover version. To wit: Janis Joplin and Pink both did outstanding (and similar) versions of "Me & Bobby McGee," but Kris Kristofferson wrote it, and his version, though earthier and much more raw, is now the one I come back to most. It's that good.

Same with "Sunday Morning Coming Down." Nobody's version can match Kristofferson's.
    Same with Jimmy Buffett, to a larger degree. I just can't listen to anyone but Jimmy doing Buffett songs.

Which brings me to tonight's entry, which I just discovered though randomly curious Googling ...

Huggy likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Ian Hunter with the great Mick Ronson on guitar. I bought that album when it came out.

9. Twirling Time

Ian "Imus" Hunter is 75 and still very much alive. He must've dug up his skull for the follicles.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

His live album, Welcome To The Club, with Ronson on guitar, is a great record and a terrific overview of his career to that point. Killer version of this one, Cleveland Rocks, Just Another Night, All the Young Dudes...

11. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Hunter has a great rock 'n' roll catalog but I enjoy his ballads too. "Ships (that pass in the night)" and "Rain" come to mind.

Here's an oddball from the '70s featuring the Mael brothers.

12. Twirling Time

I've always been fascinated with Randy Van Warmer, which I always considered the fakest showbiz name ever. Nope, it was real.

(Sadly, it's "was" because he took his dirt nap in 2004 at the age of 48.)

Mr._Graybeard likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted