1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music Thread (post a song)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 15, 2021.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not a song, but yesterday my CD of "Jackrabbit Slim," Steve Forbert's second album, arrived at my house (yes, I'm a fossil, I still prefer CD's to streaming). The trio of "Romei's Tune, "The Sweet Love That You Give" and "Just Say Goodbye to Little Jo" in 3 of the first 4 songs is a great start to a very solid followup to "Alive on Arrival."

I was stunned to learn he now lives in Asbury Park and plays the Stone Pony fairly regularly.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The next Dylan who didn't quite get there. I played Alive on Arrival in my early 20s ... a lot. And I think "It Isn't Gonna Be That Way" is a criminally underappreciated song.

We saw Forbert about a decade ago playing before a crowd of 25 at a downtown brewpub. The intimate setting was a little unsettling.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

And a very tasty Lowell George cover. He recorded a Little Feat tribute album.

FileNotFound likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's been 30 years since Joel has released a new song - this thing is amazing. The video does it justice.
    Hearing Joel talk about the song makes me think he's actually excited about music again.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I hear that criticism all the time of Nashville and I think it's largely misdirected. There are a ton of female country stars and I hear their songs all the time on the radio or in the store. If they're not getting air time, that's radio's fault, not the 615.

Tay-Tay was one of them, lest we forget.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Given the glut of country stations across the country - surprised a station that gave women artists heavy rotation, if not all of their airtime (mix in the classics like Dolly, Emmylou, Loretta, Tammy, Martina, Trisha and Reba) doesn't exist to stand out. I've always found women artists more interesting.
    And I was more surprised with Darius Rucker's success in Nashville more due to his age than being black. Dude broke in in his 40s? That's usually when the labels show artists the door and stop supporting their albums.

7. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

This has a nice '60s vibe.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Friend of mine posted this on Facebook.
    Mandy Patinkin, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

Yeah, good golly, a show tune! But it's well worth watching ...

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Love this song (and movie).

And Mary Stuart Masterson was hella fast.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Such a lovely song. Breathtaking.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I met the dude in, of all places, the Hacienda in Manchester, England. That was a day.

garrow likes this.
  12. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted