1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nashville media: sickening

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Eric P., Oct 1, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That's exactly right.

Another reason why I love seeing that little martinet, Nick Saban, eating shit in Miami.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

One problem here, given that those on hand were blindsided by the announcement, is that there's only one major paper in Nashville. But, that said, was every Titans writer from the paper there for the surprise closed-door meeting? The columnist(s) too? Couldn't somebody who was there tell someone who wasn't there and get it in the paper that way? And where was all-knowing talk radio in this? Or are the Titans simply not worth talking up?

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

A couple of things. Someone earlier said ``off the record is off the record.'' Wrong. The reporter decides what's off the the record, not the source. A source can say, ``This is off the record,'' but unless the reporter agrees, it doesn't mean shit.

Also, if you can't report a huge story like this, what's the point of watching practice in the first place? Great, I get all this information -- but I can't tell the readers, so who cares? Trick plays and stuff, I'll sit on. A huge personnel change like this? Got to report it. I don't care if he closes practice. Other people get by without going to practice.

And ...

Bad analogy. Informing people of what's going on with the team is my job. This is just gossip.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I can go home with my pride, my dignity and the satisfaction of a job done properly. And knowing that I didn't have to broker a silly deal with a coach who wears a bad Flemish moustache.

A millionaire I owe absolutely nothing to, and who owes nothing to me.

Your mileage may vary. But keep sucking up to guys like Fisher and letting him swing you by the nuts. It makes our profession look so much nobler.

5. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I hope somebody is sitting on news that Joey Harrington is going to start for Miami soon.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

What he said.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So let me make sure I understand this correctly...

The Nashville reporters are allowed to watch practice, but may not report on what they see. They are given a very significant piece of information by the coach, but told that it they report it, they will no longer be allowed to watch the practices they are not allowed to report on.

Is that about right?

Here are my questions:

What is the value of going to a practice you agree not to report on?

If I am a reader, what will I be getting from you that I can't get from the team web site?

Is the objective to inform readers of significant information about their team, or is it to make sure the coach likes you?

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Well, cause, um, you can play grab ass with the rest of the media and you can buddy up to the players and feel like part of the club. Because hey, if there's one reason we're out there every day, it's to feel like we're a part of the club, and soon the players and coaches might notice and actually decide they like us. In fact, if we hang around long enough, maybe we'll get some team-issued gear we can wear at night while we go home and stroke our big Titans boner.

I know if I were covering the Titans and Jeff Fischer came to Wednesday's practice and beat Al Del Greco to death at mid-field with a rusty yardage marker, pissed on his corpse and burned it at the 50 yard line, I would not report anything because otherwise I might have to spend next practice back at the team complex, making phone calls and working sources, and man would that suck.

9. Great post.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, except if you've agreed to blanket off the record in exchange for attending practice.

Your problem, of course, is that you might be putting yourself at a disadvantage against the other beat guys.

11. PCLoadLetter

Yep, pretty much what I took from that, too.

Thanks.

12. PCLoadLetter

What disadvantage? If anything happens they can't report on it. But you can, because you weren't there.

Draft saved Draft deleted