1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC Fires Matt Lauer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I thought she was pretty good at the tough cross-examination lady schtick on Fox.

But she's an awful fit for a morning show. When she tries fun, friendly and relatable, it instead comes off as phony, awkward and insincere.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    sgreenwell likes this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

She doesnt do fluff and she has a short shelf life, but in bursts she can be effective with news

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I used to do a full overnight shift -- 11pm to 7am. That was a long time ago. I promised myself I'd work at Starbucks before I ever do that again.

Now I'm at my desk at 4:30am -- in a T-shirt and jeans, unshaven, barely coherent. That's hard enough. I work with people who have spent the past 20 years on a shift where they're in a suit or dress, TV-ready by 4am. It amazes me. It's definitely a young person's game.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see NBC and CBS go with all-female morning anchor teams for a while. They both seem to be much deeper in talented women anchors anyway.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Agree with this completely. It's especially cringe-worthy when she's doing the traditional morning show stuff, like trying to pretend she's really excited about lost twins being reunited. And since I've been watching for the past year, it's an especially stark contrast from the "casual chit chat hour" they used to have at 9, when it would usually be three of Dylan Dryer, Al Roker, Sheinelle Jones and a celebrity co-host shooting the shit. That would be oddly entertaining, since the hosts were usually way more relaxed because they had nothing but softball content.

re: Geraldo Rivera, I think he's such a fucking joke that nobody cares enough to investigate him. Maybe if he keeps chirping though, it'll happen.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So what percentage of men think whipping it out is acceptable “flirtation” with co-workers or any other human being? Because I’d have never guessed so many famous folks would use that as an opening move.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Matt Lauer was a creep to his wife, repeatedly cheated. He was an obvious leach.

Want to know who the next ones are, look at powerful men, who cheated on their wives, divorced and remarried either a coworker, employee or younger woman.
    Gingrich is an obvious candidate.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Who the fuck is their management consultant on this, Mr. Burns?

Baron Scicluna and poindexter like this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Could it be a safety precaution?

lakefront likes this.
  11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That's what I initially thought.

Crazies are out there. Takes one lock to get inside our station. A second to access the newsroom. A third for the studio.

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

people on the thread say it isn't unusual, sometimes as a security lockdown issue, but the consensus is that it was not surprising.

Draft saved Draft deleted