1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC Fires Matt Lauer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2017.

1. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

yes, all those years of actual hiding people had to do, can you freakin imagine that? eternity is right.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Indeed, that is the difference. The government has a "rational basis," as it is known in law, for discriminating against tall and short people. Constitutional conservatives typically think that "rational basis" is owed wide deference.

I'm not arguing against gay marriage. I'm just explaining why I think you're wrong that a gay person could not hold what you consider to be an "anti-gay" position without being a hypocrite. A Constitutional conservative is one example of someone who could hold that position, at least as a matter of Constitutional law. And I used the example of Elijah Muhammad as a black person who was militantly anti-segregation. Maybe a gay Elijah Muhammad doesn't feel that gays should desire to participate in a long-standing exclusionary heterosexual action.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It’s pretty nice when your personal evolution occurs at the most politically convenient moment.

I would have thought that someone as enlightened as Obama would have been ahead of the curve.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Like a lot of things humanity has done, with the benefit of just a little hindsight, it can seem fucking insane.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Relatively quickly? It was so far and away the fastest social revolution in history, it's hard to determine what is the distant second.
    Otherwise, you're treating the word unconstitutional as a synonym for "things society should think are bad". We haven't yet had a majority of the SC endorse that definition.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

TEN years ago, Republicans were licking their chops at a gay marriage referendum because it was such a ballot box killer.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'll be interested to see how the world, particularly journalism, reacts to the sexual harassment/assault wave. Is Sports Illustrated still going to put out a swimsuit issue, or will that seem like an anachronism in short order? What about "Esquire's" "Sexiest Woman of the Year," with an underwear pictorial? Will we look back on that kind of objectification in five years the way we look back at stances against gay marriage now?

lakefront likes this.
  8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I just think back, I mean... I can remember that in the eighth grade, the principal insult was "Rock," as in Rock Hudson, because he died from AIDS. I shudder thinking about it now, but it was reality, and no adult said or did anything about it. And here we are today.

I know it can still be hard to be different from the majority, and I know a lot of "coming out" stories are still fraught—I have a male cousin who's gay and his life has not always been easy—but things are so much better than they were. I think sometimes in any fight, you have to remember to take stock of the victories, even when, or maybe especially when, it can seem like there's so much more ground to be won.

9. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

yes to the above, that is really how I would describe my defense of Obamas chnge, but I did not want to overstate it. (Not that you did)

Draft saved Draft deleted