1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC Fires Matt Lauer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know if you watched "The Office," but there's an early episode where Jim, who has been pining after engaged secretary Pam for months, physically picks her up during some silliness, thinking it was time to make a flirty move. And she is not happy. Not screaming pissed. But can't-believe-you-did-that-you-creep-I-thought-you-were-different pissed. Conveyed mostly with a look.

I've always thought it was one of the most uncomfortable, realistically portrayed episodes of television I've ever watched. Like the Ross and Rachel break-up episode, it's one of those I choose not to re-watch.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There has been no time in my life when the thought of actually doing that would have crossed my mind. Never. Ever. Not because I'm so pure of heart ... I mean, c'mon ... but because I've always assumed I'd get the shit slapped out of me.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Certainly Savannah and Kotb didn't seem as pissed at Matt Lauer as CBS's Gayle King was when Charlie Rose got ousted.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That scene was very realistic, but I always took it as the two of them falling into a playful, flirty mode and then the reality of her situation ... she was engaged, after all ... struck her.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but the Page 6 headline indicates that it was a sexual assault that Lauer is accused of, but no details. The phrase can run the gamut these days, as we've covered ad nauseum here, but it sounds like more than a case of walking around naked or making inappropriate come-ons.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Their shock is going to end up competing with an avalanche of accusations in the NYT and Variety, in stories that I assume are going to carry the "open secret" label as most of these do. Shock won't be a good look.

poindexter and YankeeFan like this.
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yes. Uncomfortably realistic, and who knows how it would be viewed IRL, but that would have been much more about the woman's personal situation than the actual event.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In that analogy, is Louis CK playing the role of Miggs?

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. Regular guys don't do stuff like that, for the obvious reason that others pointed out. Most men wouldn't feel good about behaving that way, and even the ones who can get past that are going to be afraid of getting slapped and being hauled before an HR person.

A man in a relative position of power might think he can get away with it. And obviously, there is something about that kind of power that brings out the worst in some men. My guess is that they don't usually start out as complete assholes. They get away with small abuses and push it farther. ... and start to see themselves as bulletproof, until they completely lose their compass and you get really bad behavior. My guess also is that if you could delve into what the deal is with many of those men, it is more about a pathology related to wielding power over others than it is simply about sex.

RickStain likes this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought it was because her boobs came out.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The full story is going to be ugly.

Draft saved Draft deleted