1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Day 4 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Maybe I've got East Coast bias, or Miner was undervalued by the masses because his teams never won, or maybe he played in an era with far better shooting guards, but here is the best list of All-Americans i could find in the years he played.

Derrick Coleman, Syracuse
    Chris Jackson, LSU
    Larry Johnson, UNLV
    Gary Payton, Oregon St.
    Lionel Simmons, LaSalle
    Hank Gathers, Loyola Marymount
    Kendall Gill, Illinois
    Bo Kimble, Loyola-Marymount
    Alonzo Mourning, Georgetown
    Rumeal Robinson, Michigan
    Dennis Scott, Georgia Tech
    Doug Smith, Missouri
    Hank Gathers, Loyola Marymount
    Steve Scheffler, Purdue

Kenny Anderson, Georgia Tech
    Jim Jackson, Ohio St.
    Larry Johnson, UNLV
    Shaquille O'Neal, LSU
    Billy Owens, Syracuse
    Stacey Augmon, UNLV
    Keith Jennings, East Tenn. St.
    Christian Laettner, Duke
    Eric Murdock, Providence
    Steve Smith, Michigan St.
    Todd Day, Arkansas
    Rodney Monroe, North Carolina State
    Doug Smith, Missouri
    Jim Jackson, Ohio St.
    Christian Laettner, Duke
    <b>Harold Miner, Southern California</b>
    Alonzo Mourning, Georgetown
    Shaquille O'Neal, LSU
    Byron Houston, Oklahoma St.
    Don MacLean, UCLA
    Anthony Peeler, Missouri
    Malik Sealy, St. John's (NY)
    Walt Williams, Maryland
    Adam Keefe, Stanford
    Todd Day, Arkansas
    Bobby Hurley, Duke

2. Almost_Famous

The problem is Miner did nothing but score a bunch of points. Honest question: Did the guy win a Pac-10 title? Does he own any Pac-10 records?
    Because I'm fairly certain at some point Ferry/Pearl/Alford all had some kind of record, be it scoring, assists, or 3's. Hell, Alford is one of the best shooters in college basketball history, no? Wasn't Pearl at one point the NCAA career assist leader? Maybe it's the BE leader.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Time flies too fast. All of those names! It was just yesterday. Steve Scheffler?! And didn't they call ETSU's Keith Jennings "The Little General" or something like that? Todd Day? Everyone talked him up like he'd be Mr. NBA Stud. Adam Keefe, I remember, had this insane dunk when he played for Utah; I couldn't believe the kid from Woodbridge High could actually dunk the ball. And Gary Payton used to kill USC during his Beaver days. It really does feel like yesterday.

And Almost Famous, Miner *was* USC. It wasn't about the records or titles. It was about the scoring machine that he was, whether he shot 16 of 39 for the game of 16 of 21. All he did was score. You're right. But nobody ever stopped him. Except James Forrest and that dogshit last-second shot at the buzzer. I should've shoved a 2-foot monkey wrench up the mechanic's ass.

4. Almost_Famous

Miner WAS USC because he dunked and made the highlights. Nick Young is a better player than Miner ever was. In fact, I'd almost take Gabe Pruitt over Miner.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Register for newspaper sites?

http://www.bugmenot.com

Even better when you have the Bugmenot extension for Firefox, which puts the Bugmenot functionality on your right-click menu.

And I just give my Yahoo mail address to the sites I actually register for, since I don't use it for regular e-mail anymore.

Oh man ... that's too easy ... :D

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That's a bold, bold statement. Basketball has a long history.

He was a very good college player, and a nothing NBA player with some athleticism. That's quite common. Let's not judge his college career becuse he was a horrid pro.

A-F: http://www.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/pac10/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/mbb-05mg-individual-records

Miner finished his career with 2,048 points in three seasons. The leading all-time conference scorer at the time had 2,608 in four seasons. You can extrapolate that any way you wish, but with another season, who knows?

Miner was second all-time in Pac-10 scoring average with 23.5 a game, behind Lew Alcindor's 26.4. His conference scoring average was also scoend all time to Lew. When he finished college, he was tops on the freshman scoring average, now eclipsed by Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

Don MacLean owned a lot of those records you speak of, like career scoring, conference scoring, etc. And his team finished first, though was swept by second-place USC in 1992, if I'm not mistaken.

In case you're wondering, it's okay that "all Miner did was score a bunch of points." Indeed. A very good college basketball player, but too one-dimensional to succeed as a pro.

7. Songbird

Found this in today's LA Times ... re: Miner. Good story.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-crowe12feb12,1,2636313.story?track=rss

edit: the story is from February.

8. Almost_Famous

How many of these players have we seen? Scoring machines who

a) NEver took their team anywhere (if they won a pac-10 title, i'll rescind this)
    b) Never hacked it in the NBA

Miner falls into this category. A filthy scoring machine, to be sure, but I hesitate to use the phrase 'hell of a college player.'

For my money - and feel free to disagree - he'll never be a Sean Elliott, Danny Ferry, Pearl Washington, etc.

Can bash Laettner all you want, but he was in in the league for at least a dozen years. Plus, he's one of the greatest winners in college bball history.

9. Songbird

Sean Elliott was a fantastic all-around -- team -- player. He didn't need to score 29 a game because those Olson teams stepped on your nuts with so many threats. Ferry and Pearl were outstanding players, too. They all had their roles. Miner's role was to score.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

AGAIN. . . . . . . being a crap NBA guy does not, repeat, DOES NOT, diminish what one did in college. Ed O'Bannon was a great college player (even won a title . . . that good enough for you?), but he was a nowhere pro.

I didn't bash Laettner. But his decade in the NBA doesn't add to what he did in college. Laettner headlined the all-american list you posted, which included Miner. All-American lists are not populated with crap college players.

College: a one- to four-year period in which a player represents the school he attends and the conference that school plays in.

Pro: the time AFTER college, which has less than nothing to do with his play in college.

Hope this helps.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Given that 5 of the 6 teams won their first game and MSU, IU and Purdue gave UNC, UCLA and Florida everything they could handle, I would say the Big Ten represented itself just fine.

12. Almost_Famous

In the last 20 years, is Miner even one of the best 10 SGs in college hoops?

Jim Jackson
    Steve Smith
    Calbert Chaney
    JJ Redick
    Troy Bell
    Richard Hamilton
    Trajon Langdon
    Ray Allen
    Kerry Kittles
    Jalen Rose

Did Miner have a better career than all of these guys? Of course this is subjective, but the only guy on this list I can see Miner replacing is possibly Jalen Rose. MAYBE Steve Smith. Otherwise ...

Draft saved Draft deleted