1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Day 4 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

And all those guys were very good college players. Good enough to be drafted, good enough for all-american consideration, good enugh for each of those names to be instantly recognizeable by a hoops fan.

Most were better pros than Miner. But they were all-americans, just like Miner.

2. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

So Piotr ... Those are my top 10 college hoops shooting guards in the last 17 years.

Does Miner crack that list? And if so,

a) where does he rank
    b) whom does he replace?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Of all the things I've seen at SportsJournalists.com, the Harold Miner threadjack has shocked me the most.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Anyone for a Big Country Reeves-jack?

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

A_F:

You're trying to change the discussion again. I should have known what I was in for when this started with a "oh no you did'int!" line from you.

Before, you said "If he didn't reach a Final Four, then he was only a "nice" player!"

That was debunked, quickly, summarily, and easily.

Then, you said, "Did Miner hold any records?!?!?!?!!?"

And it was quickly and easily shown that holding records is not the be-all, end-all, but since you asked, as a matter of fact, he had some rather good numbers.

(at some point, you threw out some idiocy about a west coast bias).

Now you want to know which of these guys gets replaced by him? If I answer, you'll just say "X player was a BETTER PRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

But based on individual performace in college, including ability to lift a team that had absolutely nothing else, both in mediocrity on the court and in questionable coaching acumen, I'd put him above Redick, Bell, Rose and Kittles. Redick, Rose and Kittles each were blessed with good talent around them, with Redick and Kittles also having excellent coaches.

In college (COLLEGE! C-O-L-L-E-G-E), Miner was on par with half those players, though contemporaries CheAney, Smith and Jackson were all better.

BUT . . . . . . I said Miner was a hell of a college player, a very good college player. I never said he was the best college player, not even close in his time. Even if there were 10 (or 15, or 20) better than him over the last 20 years, that does not mean he sucks, or that he was only "nice" player. It merely means that there were a lot of good shooting guards in college hoops over the last 20 years.

I do no care about USC. But I do care about the facts, and about backing one's views with evidence.

BYH: I am embarrassed that I have allowed Almost_Famous and his questionable takes to bait me into this. If I had desired to spend the day banging my head against the wall, I would have babysat my nephews. My apologies.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

AHA! I caught you in mid-edit! :D

I saw "...allowed you and your questionable takes..." and I was like hey what did I do? I'm just sitting here popping some popcorn.

No worries. It's entertaining.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wiscy bent over for some Bootsian loving, and USC Bootsed the shit out of Texas. No KY needed today, boys. Life is beautiful.

9. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Hill was a six-time All Star, ROY and won a gold medal. Injuries or not he has had a great NBA career. The only thing injuries did was prevent him from having a HOF career. I don't think there is any doubt that Jay Williams was on his way to a good career if not for his accident. He should probably get an incomplete and not a failure. Not saying that there isn't truth to Duke players struggling in the pros, but I can't say I agree with the inclusion of those two.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Does Memphis making the Sweet 16 put Calipari into the pantheon of coaches? Is it his coaching? Is it his recruiting? All of a sudden his Memphis teams are playing like his Camby-led Minutemen.

Throwing out these questions to jerk ourselves off of the Minerjack.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Calipari can win anywhere. When you have no scruples, you can win anywhere. Even UMass.

I like the guy because someone on this board (Michael Gee, I think) said Calipari still obsesses over how much newspaper coverage his team gets. So I like him. I still wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

And if Memphis doesn't win it all (they better go to the Final Four, c'mon bracket!) then I still say he ends up at Kentucky.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Oh- forgot to include JJ Redick on list.

Draft saved Draft deleted