1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Week 12 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Nov 14, 2007.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Oh, and for the record, even though I'm from Missouri, I'm not a Kansas hater (or K-State, for that matter).

In fact, KU is my son's favorite college team (He spent some time at KU-Med in Kansas City, where he was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, so the Jayhawks became his favorite team).

Like I said, if KU wins Saturday, the 'Hawks should be No. 1.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This will be lost in the talk of Lloyd Carr's retirement at Michigan but Baylor whacked Guy Morriss today. If you're scoring at home, he's the fourth coach to be fired by BU since the inception of the Big 12.

According to the Waco paper the supposed short list for his replacement includes:

Mike Singletary
    Houston Nutt
    Art Briles
    Larry Fedora (former Baylor assistant)
    Tommy Bowden

3. Armchair_QB

So LSU should drop from No. 1 even if it beats Arkansas?

4. HandsomeHarley

Should LSU win, I fully expect them to be no lower than No. 2. If LSU wins, they're in the title game, period.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Seriously, Harley, that's ridiculous. LSU stays No. 1 until it loses (to Missouri in New Orleans. A boy can dream, can't he?)

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I know this sounds like Animal House, but 20 – count 'em, 20 – Ole Miss players were put on double-secret probation for stealing from two hotels.

It seems the Commercial-Appeal got the ball rolling on this:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2007/nov/18/ole-miss-players-disciplined-taking-hotel-property/

7. HandsomeHarley

No. 1 teams have dropped before, even after winning, because No. 2 or No. 3 defeated a top-5 opponent. That's the way it should be.

Having an argument that a team stays where they are until they lose makes schedule strength a joke.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

they'd still have the sec championship game, too

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

But LSU has played a stronger schedule than both Mizzou and Kansas, so there goes that argument.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Let's examine that:
    --LSU had three non-SEC cupcakes, and kicked ass in their one test, vs. No. 9, Va. Tech.
    --Mizzou had three non-Big 12 cupcakes, and held off Illinois, which turned out to be a ranked team who gave Ohio State its loss.
    --Advantage LSU

--LSU lost to Kentucky (17 at the time) in overtime, and UK has faded away.
    --Mizzou lost to Oklahoma (6) with a late fade, and OU is now 10th.
    --Advantage: Even

--LSU beat Florida (9), Auburn (18) and Alabama (17) in close games, and beat S.C. (12) pretty solidly. Florida is a legit top power, Auburn is decent but has no business being ranked. SC has faded a bit, and Bama has belly-flopped.
    --Mizzou routed Nebraska (25) and Texas Tech (22). Nebraska fell off the earth, but Tech beat No. 3 Oklahoma and is 8-4. Then possibly next week, a win over No. 2 Kansas.
    --Advantage: Even, assuming a Mizzou win.

--LSU also routed Mississippi State (a good win in retrospect) and solidly beat a not-so-good Ole Miss team. And let's assume a solid victory over Arkansas.
    --Missouri solidly beat a bad Iowa State team and a mediocre Kansas State team (that did beat Texas), routed a mediocre Colorado team (that did beat Oklahoma and Texas Tech), and got past an up-and-down Texas A&M team.
    --Advantage: Even.

So, basically, the only edge is that LSU took care of its one nonconference test much better.

11. Armchair_QB

Which is utter fucking horseshit. Anyone droping LSU after beating Arkansas is trying to create a story instead of report on one.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

so, we agree, lsu has the edge. very good.

of course, both teams have possibly two games remaining, so there is that

Draft saved Draft deleted