1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Springsteen single out today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My dad had perforated peptic ulcers in his mid fifties, in the early 1980s. As I recall he was in intensive care a couple days, the hospital about a week, and he didn't go back to his newspaper desk job a couple weeks after thst.

It was probably three or four months before he was fully back to regular physical activities, although his activities didn't include striding around a stage for three hours a night.

Of course this was 40 years ago and I have no idea how comparable my dad's condition was to what Bruce has. But I will say my dad had ptrtty good gastric health the rest of his life. (They didn't even recommend any dramatic diet changes.)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

They say toadstool avoidance can extend your life. Good advice, as toadstools can be deadly.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine who is a gastroenterologist and was the person who got me into Bruce before BITUSA came out texted me the following:
    1-it’s gastric cancer
    2-he has an ulcer possibly due to popping Motrin type meds after 3 hour concerts and he bled, causing him to be anemic. Doctor would require him to get iron infusions while getting treated for the ulcer and wouldn’t allow him to run around until his blood count is high enough. That takes a few weeks. Would’ve explained September. Not the whole year.
    3-extended scenario is his anemia revealed underlying heart disease and he needed a stent. Then he wouldn’t be able to do this for the rest of the year.

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

A friend of mine who is a longtime music journalist said the sentiment in the biz is this is worse than it sounds.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is it going to be a Jimmy Buffet thing where he cancels some concerts and the next thing you know he's dead?

6. Starman

Nobody knew Bowie was really sick until a few weeks before he went.
    On the other hand, Bruce was pretty good friends with Warren Zevon, who played it out very publicly to the end.
    So I could see it going in either direction.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

It's a relief to open this thread and see reasonably encouraging news. Hopefully the lengthy stoppage was more precautionary than anything.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Starman

I think if his medical prognosis was really dire, they would have stalled off on rescheduling announcements. I would think they're fairly confident he'll be back to normal activity by the time these dates start.

Incidentally, the equestrian events at the Paris Olympics are set for July 27-August 6, so I suppose I wouldn't be shocked to see a few European shows slipped in June or early July. But at this point it's all wait and see.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Interesting tour list - does he even play SEC states anymore?

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Bruce would probably play friendly SEC enclaves like Austin. College Station is straight out. Fayetteville, it's 50-50.

Little Rock, they're getting BROOOOOCE so they don't care his politics.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I saw him in Atlanta on the second stop of the tour, but it looked like a Rutgers tailgate, if such a thing existed.

Draft saved Draft deleted