1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News on the Santa Barbara News-Press?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by journalist4life, Jul 15, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

This is why this industry will never improve.

You can have a situation with almost no gray area that's clearly collapsing into hell, and yet people will rush to it like moths to a light.

Brilliant.

2. I have been told by all the dailes over here I need daily time to get a job their. Hard to turn down a daily job, in a great place to live, with hopefully good pay to it. It would be a East Coast to West Coast move for me as well.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

So you jump at the first chance that's documented thoroughly as the highway to hell?

4. Well getting an offer always feels good.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It might feel better if you got one from a place that, you know, practices good or even decent journalism.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've never been much on dispensing anonymous career advice, but you'd have to be nuts to make a transcontinental move to take this job.

For someone who lives in SoCal, I might say, "go ahead, take it, if it blows up in three months, what's the difference?," but not if you're moving cross-country. In that case, if it blows up in three months, you're parking shopping carts at Wal-Mart, and living in a cardboard box.

And from all indications from all the related stories, you'd have to say the chances of it blowing up in three months appear to be disturbingly high. :eek: :eek:

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

j4l:

Wenalway needs a West Coast correspondent. But spelling and punctuation matter.

8. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Just to play devil's advocate -- and, in this case, it certainly sounds as if I may be advocating the devil -- if you are in a position where you absolutely can't find a full-time reporting job at a daily, what do you have to lose? As long as they pay moving expenses, its better than sitting around for three months waiting tables and what not.

Worse comes to worse, you live for awhile in a beautiful part of Cali, get a few clips under your belt, and, if you are lucky, nail the MILF publisher.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Oh, lord, laddy, you must be looking at the before pics, not the after...

10. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

power is a natural aphrodesiac.

11. VJ

VJ Member

I hear the boss demands a weekly blowjob as well.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

But that's true of any job, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted