1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newt Gingrich, The Ship Be Sinking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No kidding...

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The "Newt surge" is a concoction of the right-wing corporatist media machine.

In the last two months, what has Newt suddenly started doing better that should abruptly boost him out of nowhere into the lead?

Nothin

What has Obama suddenly started doing worse which should abruptly drag him down below a guy who wasn't even on the charts 60 days ago?

Nothin

A complete fabrication/fantasy. A lie repeated often enough becomes the truth.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Newt did come up with his revolutionary plan to provide poor kids with economic janitorial bootstraps. That's worth a few points.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So people think Newt is the smartest person in the room? If true, then why in blue hell is he agreeing to a debate sponsored by looney-bin NewsMax moderated by Donald Trump?

5. Starman

Ah yes I forgot that one. The indentured servitude/child labor plan. That probably gave the bandwagon a tremendous boost.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Newt's penchant for hyperbole will kill him. He can and all too often does argue the most nuanced political decision is really a modern day assassination of Franz Ferdinand and do it with a straight face. Not every Democratic policy is the equivalent of collectivization. Sometimes I think he uses big words and makes grand pronouncements just so you'll believe how smart he is. Like he's trying to prove something. He'll make these wild comparisons assuming most everyone doesn't know what he's talking about, but since it sounds so emphatic, we'll just believe him.

On the other hand, he'll never promise to vow to keep China from going nuclear, or to shut down the US Embassy in Tehran. He's not THAT dumb.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Newt's past will kill him. People haven't been reminded about it quite yet.

8. Starman

Yeah. If he actually remains as a serious contender once primary season starts, the character-assassination hit squads will drop a well-deserved bomb on him.

Incidentally Newt now claims to be a devout Roman Catholic, which is almost as anathema to the bible-beating Shiite base as those weirdo Mormons.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's pretty funny. Bachmann, Perry, and Cain have all blown up.

Surely, Newt will.

The big question I hear being asked is when. There's only three weeks to the Iowa Caucuses. Can he hold it together until then?

If he was ever going to peak, he timed it well.

(Though, since the caucuses famously require a ground game, Newt still might not do as well as polls indicate, even if he doesn't blow it.)

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I keep waiting for Huntsman to rise. Even the Red State blog is pushing him now. Maybe he starts gaining traction in December? For the four years the GOP has spent trying to make Obama a one-term president, it seems like there's going to be a major chunk of the party experiencing buyer's remorse even before the convention is over.

11. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Opposition to academic tenure is a standard right-wing position, but Gingrich's belief in that opposition makes him a rare (former) professor.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What's the rational for going with Huntsman over Romney?

No one that's pimped him to this date has given me any rational for voting for him, let alone told me why he's better than Romney.

Draft saved Draft deleted