1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newt Gingrich, The Ship Be Sinking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 9, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, all of the liberals/media/liberal media who like Huntsman, like him because he's more conservative than Romney?

Sorry if I have a hard time believing that.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Who said that's why they like him?

Maybe they like him because he's personable when you're in the room with him. Maybe it's because he's not chasing the lowest common denominator. Maybe it's because his daughters are funny and attractive.

3. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

"Gingrich’s marriage to Battley had been troubled for many years before it dissolved 31 years ago, both parties have said. Battley, who is seven years older than Gingrich, had been Gingrich’s high school math teacher in Columbus, Ga. They began dating after he graduated and were married in 1962, when Gingrich was 19 and a freshman at Emory University in Atlanta."

Paging Poindexter. How did I not know that before? Yuck City.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Inky pretty much nailed it. I first gave him a look because he isn't appealing to the LCD of the party. The fact he said he wanted to run on policy differences and not mud slinging, and his answer to the idiots who scream bloody murder because he was the US Ambassador to China, were refreshing. Since then, his policy on foreign wars, Afghanistan in particular, is very appealing.

That prominent figures of your own party say he's the most conservative is of them all is nice flash, but I'm into substance, and this guy has it.

5. YankeeFan

You also haven't heard a single negative thing about his, because it's not worth a minute of anyone's time to focus their attention on him. He's at 1%.

If he was really in the campaign, he'd have higher negatives.

6. Flying Headbutt

The fact that the general population isn't paying too much attention to him is their own fault. His numbers are rising, at least in some places. Are you waiting for everyone else to look into him before you decide if it's worth your time?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Huntsman is still on the ballot when my state's primary rolls around, he will almost certainly get my vote. If not, then I may have a tough decision to make.

8. YankeeFan

No. I'm rooting for someone capable who can win.

For me, that's Romney.

Time to rally around the front runner.

9. Flying Headbutt

Isn't that what happened with John Kerry?

10. YankeeFan

I suppose.

Times has an article today comparing this election to 1992. But they also work in a John Kerry reference:

I'm certainly hoping 2012 turns out better for us than 2004 did for the Democratics.

11. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Rassmusen POLL: Newt 38% (+24), Mittens Romney 17% (-6), Cain 8% (-18), Paul 8% (+1), Perry 4% (-4)

Thursday, December 01, 2011

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich has surged to the largest national lead held by any candidate so far in the race for the Republican Presidential Nomination. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/republican_presidential_nomination-1452.html#polls

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey of Likely Republican Primary Voters finds Gingrich on top with 38% of the vote. Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney is a distant second at 17%. No other candidate reaches double-digits.

The national survey of 1,000 Likely Republican Primary Voters was conducted on November 30, 2011 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Field work for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC. See methodology.

12. YankeeFan

Huntsman up to 2.4%. Though, I guess he could be at -0.6% too, based on the margin of error.

Draft saved Draft deleted