1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Championship Game Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 22, 2024.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Amazing that either the Chiefs or the Patriots have been in the conference final for 13 straight years. And this is the league with the most competitive balance.

MileHigh likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That link has been balky. Worked. Then didn't work. Worked. Then didn't work.

I just tried five times. Fifth time it worked.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Please NBC do us viewers a favor, get Dungy off the screen, maybe just do a hidden behind screen shot to make him "mysterious" because everything he says is so basic ("the team that scores the most will win...."). Dungy is the 180 from Gruden, its all vanilla and cream. Dungy makes me long for Meredith because while he wasn't saying anything, he was still saying something with just his delivery (which is what was irritating Gifford so much).

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I can't believe any people actually care, let alone get upset, about a few 2-second shots of Taylor Swift cheering.

Guess they gotta be pissed off all the time in all situations to be "happy."

6. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Went down a youtube rabbit hole that took me to a 1967 Baltimore Colts season.

Fucking incredible a team could go 11-1-2 and miss the playoffs (while 9-4-1, 9-5 and 9-5 teams did make the postseason).

And the 11-1-2 Rams had to play the 9-4-1 Packers in Milwaukee in the playoffs, because before 1975 the playoff sites were rotated among division winners, regardless of record.

Ice Bowl should have never happened.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Weather should be clear in Santa Clara on Sunday. Last of this week's storms went through overnight and none expected until next week.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yes! Plus I get to tee it up Sat beforehand!!

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Colts also got jerked around in 1965, lost a playoff game to the Packers when Tom Matte was their emergency QB. They led 10-7 late, Green Bay tried a FG that was called good even though it appeared to everyone in the stadium that it was wide. Those were the days of the old, short uprights, game was played in Green Bay, home cooking. Packers then won in OT and beat the Browns for the NFL title.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never understood why the league thought rotating home-field advantage among division winners ever made sense. The undefeated Dolphins had to go to Pittsburgh the week after the Steelers won the Immaculate Reception game. The Steelers actually had a lead in the third quarter and the Dolphins won by only four.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think the argument in the 1960s was mainly that at that time it it was difficult to change destinations to transport entire trucks of TV broadcast gear with short notice and therefore they needed the locations of playoff games to be set longer in advance.
    It sounded like bullshit to me then and it does now. Do the networks still transport complete moving vans full of equipment from stadium to
    stadium? You'd think by now all stadiums would be wired with a near standard set of cameras, etc etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted