1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Championship Game Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So I was at the supermarket this morning and in the checkout line saw that the cover story of People this week was "The Real Kelce Brothers." This must have been the first time an offensive lineman has made the cover of that now 50-year old publication.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, but only what divisions would host the game were known far in advance. Actual winners of those divisions could be decided on the last week.

Colts and Rams played for the Coastal Division title in the last game in 1967. Had the Coastal been one of the designated first-round hosts that year (instead of the Capitol and Central), either Los Angeles or Baltimore would have hosted the game.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Special Meathead Edition!

4. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

I don't know if that was the argument, but yes, the networks used trucks then and use trucks now. Then, the networks owned the trucks and there would be one at a regular game and two at a big game – usually for extra replay units. Today, outside companies (NEP, Game Creek Video, F&F, IMS, etc.) own the trucks. CBS had four in Buffalo, for instance, plus office trailers. NEP has 65 trucks in North America alone.

misterbc and Liut like this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The NFL divisions of the 1960s were a real bizarro world enterprise.

BTExpress likes this.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

They lean towards running backs.

[​IMG]

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I looked out of the window of my hotel room the Sunday morning after my reunion and there were four trucks emblazoned with the TNF logo for Giants-49ers at Levi's.

8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

The Browns led the Dolphins the week before with about 5 minutes left when Miami scored the winning TD. Cleveland had two possessions after that, one of which ended in an interception, the fifth thrown by the Browns that day. I think Flacco was the quarterback.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is why I roll my eyes at the surviving members drinking champagne and toasting themselves as the greatest team of all time every year once the last undefeated team falls. I don't think they were even the best version of the Dolphins in the '70s, much less the greatest team ever.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think most of them have said that the 1973 team was better.
    To be fair, though, they played at least half the '72 season with their backup quarterback. I don't think Griese came back until the second half of the AFC Championship game.

Liut likes this.
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

To quote the great Bill Parcells: You are what your record says you are.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Aren't the 76 Steelers considered by a lot of players to be their best team?

Draft saved Draft deleted