1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Championship Game Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's a good question. The first one was absolutely the one to go for it. As for Goff, with time in the pocket, he is excellent. Under pressure, he is Mac Jones.
    PS: I think once the 49ers began moving the ball consistently, Campbell began to think he needed a TD on every possession. He knows better than anyone the Detroit defense is a suspect outfit, especially on pass defense. But a coach can't take counsel of his fears. Ravens did too, abandoning the run the minute they were down 14-7.

CD Boogie and jr/shotglass like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That held up quite well don't you think? haha.

I do wonder how many tickets were booked from Detroit to LV at halftime....

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

At the end of her 2023 tour the newspaper reported she gave out millions to her road crew in bonuses; something like tens of thousands to each. Unseen generosity IMHO. (I realize she earned huge $$ on the tour but still awesome).

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think the answer is that one of the benefits of going for it near the goal line is that it leaves your opponent with terrible field position. That wasn’t a factor given that the half was basically over and that the 49ers would kneel down regardless.

dixiehack likes this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Add a few commas...

Taylor Swift gives over $50 million in bonuses to 'Eras' tour crew.

Edit: D'b ol QT in-ad-vertently. (Which is not a TS song)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
    playthrough likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Shouldas are easy to say. Taking the 3 for 5he tie then assuming 49ers score ignores that someone could have dropped a 3rd down ball just like Reynolds (although all 49ers are better receivers).

49er fanboy here wanted h8m to go for it before half because if he fails, it gives Niner# something positive going in.

I thought he definitely should have taken the two FGs, you re-establish a 3 score lead, why not? 7 or 3 doesn’t matter, possessions needed to tie matter.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I'm with Guy and Michael here...the time the Lions kicked the FG is the time they REALLY should have gone for it. San Fran hadn't stopped anyone or anything all half. Going up 28-7 is a kill shot. And if they don't get it, there's no momentum swing, unless the 49ers take a pick-six back.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah what’s up with that?? :)

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He's remarkable. He runs like his center of gravity is in his knees.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Correct. My wife was saying, "Go for it" and I told her exactly what you just said.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

See I respectfully disagree. We bury him because he gambled and he lost. But what he did was make that call all year and told his players he trusted them to make a play. He asked his best guys to make one play. Goff threw a terrible pass. Yeah pressure had a lot to do with it, but they’re was a guy open enough of Goff throws that ball better, that’s a first down and I’m in a much diffident mood this morning.

His real error was that run on the goal line because it cost him a timeout. He needed a play that would save the timeouts because onsides are impossible. With three timeouts, Niners need a first down to win. With two, they just needed to kill clock.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'd say if you have a chance to go up three scores in the second half, you've got to take it. That's a big hole for any team to climb out of.

Draft saved Draft deleted