1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Championship Game Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 22, 2024.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Downright Neyland-esque. #IYKYK

Batman likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

So I’m a Steelers fan and the Ravens are our arch rivals, but I find myself rooting for Lamar and Charm City folks in this game, mainly bc all three of my sisters live and work in and around Ballmore and I’d like to see someone other than Mahomes and Co. in the Super Bowl. I think they got a helluva shot, too.

Less confident in the Lions, but I’d love to see them get to their first Super Bowl.

Liut likes this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Rooting for Ravens and Lions.

CD Boogie and Liut like this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

More often than not, although not even close to most of the time, one conference title game is close and the other is a blowout, like last season. If there is a blowout, it figures to be the NFC game. I would prefer a Ravens-Lions Super Bowl for novelty's sake, but I'm pretty sure we'll get the opposite.

5. CD Boogie

Quarterbacks should have no radios in helmets and should more or less be responsible for calling own plays. Again, I watched a full replay of Super Bowl 13 between the Steelers and the Cowboys, which Pitt won 35-31 IIRC and which the announcers in game and commentators afterwards called the great SB to date, and there was no mention or sideline shots of offensive coordinators on either side, as Bradshaw for Pitt and Landry for Dallas called on the plays. And the game just cooked. Too bad they think that conventional wisdom says overmanaging plays from the sidelines is beneficial.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

There are hundreds of plays to call. A QB hasn't called plays in more than 30 years. Not happening.

Tighthead likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Peyton Manning called a lot of his own plays. Brady probably did his share too. But, of course, those guys are exceptions to almost every rule of modern NFL quarterbacking.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In the 2004 opener the Patriots started out by over-emphasizing stopping Manning from throwing, so he called the same running play 12 times in a row. The first nine went 66 yards for a touchdown.

9. CD Boogie

A man can dream. Btw, who was the last QB to call his own plays? Bradshaw?

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So, Kadarius Toney seems to take issue with the Chiefs over the nature of his injury.

Listener discretion is advised.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Steve Grogan called his own plays.

Brady and Manning had those cards on their left wrists to know what play was being called. Calling audibles and calling a play a completely different things.

CD Boogie likes this.
  12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

When my daughter was in high school, I went to a few of the football games. The play-calling system was the QB running to sideline, the coach telling him the play, and the QB running back into the huddle. No shuttle guards or tight ends bringing in the plays. I always thought that by the end of the game, the QB was gassed from all of the unnecessary running back and forth. The school was only about a dozen years old, but my kid's four years were the worst in the school history. Looking deeper, they lost several games at the end, where they failed to make a clinching play, or failed to stop a clinching play. (Yeah, the QB played defense, too.)

Draft saved Draft deleted