1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 1 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Sep 5, 2022.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That was just mind-bendingly stupid. Good lord.

MileHigh likes this.
  2. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Of course he's Paul Hackett's son. Nepotism is really the only way this can be explained.

exmediahack likes this.
  3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The Broncos have had a lot of problems since winning the Super Bowl but coaching really is the foundation of all of it. And this might be the stupidest coaching decision I've ever seen.

I'm just flabbergasted.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Must have a sock puppet here.

5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I can understand that. There have been a lot of guys on NFL Network like that. Brian Billick tugged hard at his supposed tutelage under Bill Walsh.

I think a lot of the guys who came up together with Belichick back in his Browns days have been protective of each other. Even back when Jim Schwartz was coaching, which feels like it was 30 years ago.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Coaches with great football theory, which can be taught and passed down, when it comes to game play will have a great coaching tree.

Coaches that have something special to them will not have great coaching trees. What they have cannot be taught.

Tomlin (connecting with and motivating players), Belichick (work ethic), Cowher (motivating layers), Noll (scouting advantage in the 70s) are examples of what they have is individual to them and cannot be passed down.

exmediahack likes this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

My wife is a Broncos fan and is very mild-mannered.
    After the field goal went wide left, I really thought something was going through the television.

I Should Coco and dixiehack like this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Who would have thought there would be a coach on a hotter hot seat than Mike McCarthy* but here we are

*I’m fully aware Dak’s injury changes that and Jerruh probably wouldn’t fire McCarthy in-season anyway. Please just go with me

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There is no way that Tennessee's and Denver's end of game decisions were optimal game strategy.

Denver's was worse but not by much.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I like that theory, though Tomlin really hasn't had great assistant coaches other than LeBeau and Munchak, both of whom were established well before they worked for him.

Noll does have John Fox and Tony Dungy on his coaching tree. He is tough to emulate, but there are principles of his that can work for others.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This place used to post scores and actually explain the breathiness.

Seattle beat Denver 17-16. Not that hard.

Maybe spend a sentence explaining the fucked up clock management. It's still SPORTSjournalists.com.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think Belichick is pretty good in figuring out what FAs to bring in - not so great with the draft. If I was an owner, I'd let the coach have a free hand with FAs, but they really don't have time to evaluate college players (see Gruden, Jon) and should leave that to the GM and scouts. Parcells wasn't great either when he had total roster control.

Draft saved Draft deleted