1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 14: Still no dumb title

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, Dec 5, 2016.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Interesting video ... besides Cooper saying the ball suddenly changed direction, it looks on the replays like it's a tight spiral out of Carr's hand most of the way down the field, until it's wobbly as it falls near Cooper.

I know wind can screw up the spiral on the ball, but that play just looked strange.

Having recently been at a Fox televised college FB game, those "spider cam" wires are crazy long — they crisscross the field diagonally from the top of the stands at each corner of the stadium. Even though the wires can jerk the camera much higher at a moment's notice, a high-arching ball could hit them.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I don't know about wires, but when the ball was in the air that looked like an easy throw and catch. Until it wasn't.

For those interested in the awful AFC South, pretty big one with Colts-Texans on Sunday. Entire division is putrid, but some team as to win. Colts have to be punching themselves in the nuts for a couple of awful division losses at this point.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Kinda makes me wish Al Davis was still alive so we could hear him complain about it.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Complain? He would have sued two networks and the NFL by Monday morning.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Deflate-gate redux? Giants reportedly suspected Steelers of underinflated balls in Week 13

This should be fun. I look forward to watching many people on both ends of this debate switch sides. I won't be one of them. It's real simple. If the Steelers did something, don't even try to cover it up. Of course, Patriots fans will forget that part. I'm also curious to see if this had ever been brought up with them before.

Meanwhile in relevant on-field news, the Steelers are without rookie nose tackle Javon Hargrave against the league's No. 1 rushing offense, weakening an already-thin defensive line. He is inactive due to a concussion. They also deactivated guard Ramon Foster due to a chest injury, disrupting the offensive line that has been so dominant the last few weeks. Two early Christmas presents for the Bills.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Glazer reporting the Steelers used deflated balls vs Giants last week.

VERY excited to hear the justification for this one considering the last two years.

7. Rhody31

Kinda love you posted this as I was posting mine. Considering the Steelers' past with cheating - Tomlin trying to trip an opposing player during the game - I expect a penalty similar to what New England got.

Seriously though, I'm guessing the balls got deflated because it was cold out AND THATS WHAT HAPPENS BECAUSE SCIENCE.

8. outofplace

Wipe the drool off your face and change your shorts. It is an accusation, not evidence. There has been no attempt to cover it up. There is no word of previous accusations. There is no recent history of getting busted cheating in another way (Spygate). If all of that stuff comes out, I hope they nail the Steelers every bit as bad as they nailed the Patriots. You can disagree with any of those points all you like, but they were all factors in the Patriots' Deflategate punishment.

And no, Tomlin's little sideline dance is not the same thing as Spygate. An idiotic move in the heat of the moment is not the same thing as an organized effort to cheat even after the league had warned every team that it was aware that stuff was going on and that further acts would be punished. Those two aren't even close to equivalent.

Unlike the Patriots, if there is actual evidence and if they were busted, I expect the Steelers to accept whatever punishment the league gives out just as they have in the past.

9. outofplace

Huge mistake from the Steelers on their opening drive in the snow. Roethlisberger threw his first red zone interception since 2014 because of a miscommunication with Ladarius Green.

The defense forced a three-and-out, but with the wind and snow, neither team can afford to give away scoring opportunities. Le'Veon Bell made two spectacular plays to get Pittsburgh in scoring position on that opening drive. I wonder how much that offense is going to be able to keep moving in this weather.

10. Rhody31

If you don't think a coach trying to trip a guy running down the sidelines is cheating you don't understand what the word means.

I'm joking about the Steelers clearly cheating by using deflated balls. Really not a big deal and makes no sense to do it because it a hindrance to a QB, per science.

11. outofplace

Outside of Alexander, who had the interception on the first drive and a touchd0wn-saving tackle on the second, the Bills' defense looks horrible. Nice power run by Bell to give the Steelers a 7-0 lead.

12. outofplace

Oh, it was cheating, though if he tried, he would have tripped him. What Tomlin did was slow him down.

But it is cheating like a holding penalty or pass interference. It is not comparable to Spygate.

Draft saved Draft deleted