1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 15: The Cowboys are in prime time again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Sounds like the Bills GM is making sure to gut him before the firing. I guess he owes Schefter some good scoops going forward.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I guess the Steelers were due for another road game in which they don't show up. For all the talk of improvement in recent weeks, they look absolutely helpless on defense so far. Bengals now up 17-3 and they have driven inside the Pittsburgh five on all three drives. Even the one stop was a third-down pass in the end zone that bounced off Eifert's hands.

I know losing Tuitt hurts, but this is an inexcusable performance by the defense.

3. outofplace

Officials wipe out a touchdown pass to Brown on a chop block call against Bell. Steelers then lose yardage on third-and-22 and will have to settle for a long field goal attempt. It wasn't a terrible call. Foster did hit Dunlop right before Bell hit him low, but it was close. Blame the officials or the Steelers, but penalties are the primary difference in this game so far and they have all gone Cincinnati's way.

The broadcast crew hasn't noticed yet, but a key player for each team was knocked out of the game the play before the wiped-out touchdown. Burfict had been diving at the pulling guards on Pittsburgh run plays early on. David DeCastro went low to meet him and they hit helmets. Eagle and Fouts noticed that Burfict left the field, but DeCastro is also out.

Edit: Bengals just dominating on offense. They got some help with Shazier dropping an interception after a big kick return, but the Steelers are barely slowing them down. It is only going to get worse now with two of the five defensive linemen they dressed out of the game. Matthews, who has been starting since Heyward's injury, just went to the locker room and I doubt Tuitt returns.

Only positive for Pittsburgh is the Steelers didn't need all three remaining games to get into the playoffs. If they beat the Ravens and Browns, they still get in. They would lose any tiebreakers in the division, but a win next week at home against Baltimore would give them at least a one-game lead with a game to go.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Adrian Peterson's return has inspired the Vikings to a 24-0 deficit against the Colts.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Texans bench Osweiler for Tom Savage.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gonna lead a Rutgers-like uprising.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I heart Ed Hochuli.

8. outofplace

How is that not pass interference? Kirkpatrick grabbed Coates with both hands before the ball arrived, keeping him from getting to the ball?

Huge no-call, too, as the Steelers have to settle for a 49-yard field goal attempt. Boswell made it, but Pittsburgh is down 11 at the half and showing no signs of being able to stop Cincinnati.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Because the ball was horribly underthrown.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You aren't looking at the connotation of the rule.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  11. outofplace

So was the one on the interference call against Artie Burns that gave the Bengals the ball at the Pittsburgh one. On both plays, the ball was close enough to be catchable if the defender doesn't interfere. One was called and the other was not.

Tomlin is right, though. The Steelers have to play cleaner. They have screwed themselves with penalties and shoddy tackling.

12. outofplace

Oh look. One of my stalkers decided to drag a pissing match from another thread onto the NFL thread. I eagerly await a proper response those protectors of the NFL thread who whine about my on-topic posts.

LTL, please post about football here. There are plenty of games going on. perhaps you could contribute something about one of them. Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted