1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 16: So we were talking about rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, Dec 18, 2017.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

In the past, it doesn't seem like they've outlaid much on non-QB positions. I believe they were notorious for just letting linebackers leave, vs. paying them. However, I'm not sure if that would also apply to quarterback, since it is the most important position and they don't really have any in-house options to replace Ben. (Maybe they're higher on Josh Dobbs than I'm aware of, though.)

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If Roethlisberger doesn't retire, it is a moot point. I wonder if this is a year they quietly push him to give them an answer sooner rather than later because there are some quality quarterback options.

I did not know about Tomlin having some great love for Cousins, but QY isn't wrong. It does seem like that would be out of character for the Steelers, certainly not something Colbert or Rooney would want to do.

They certainly aren't going to pay big money to Cousins and lock up Bell. Then again, I'm betting they will franchise Bell again and start giving Connor more of the load next season. By that point, Bell will have a lot of mileage on him. They offensive line will be intact for another season, then they likely move on from Foster. The others are signed long term.

3. outofplace

Evil is a Steelers fan, QY. He knows the history. He just thinks they will break from it.

sgreenwell is right. They historically haven't spent big on any position. I still think if Roethlisberger retires, they go after somebody like Smith or Keenum and draft somebody for the long term. I certainly hope they don't think Dobbs is the answer. I just don't see it.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I know oop. I was joking.

5. outofplace

My bad. Outside of you, Rhody, Evil and CD Boogie, I tend to forget who roots for which team around here.

QYFW likes this.
  6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I think Cousins is a good quarterback. He'd be a definite upgrade for a number of teams. And I think he would do great with Brown, Bell and Smith-Schuster. But teams don't drastically alter their economic models for one player. At least successful teams don't. The Steelers are the last team I would expect to pay for the top FA QB on the market.

7. outofplace

Agreed. Though to be fair, we haven't seen this franchise deal with a need at quarterback in a long time. Dan Rooney was still running the show and Cowher was the head coach when they drafted Roethlisberger.

So far Art Rooney II hasn't deviated much from Dan Rooney's style, but that doesn't mean he won't. Dan Rooney was certainly a huge departure from his father.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Maybe they trade up and try to grab a Josh Allen-type in the draft.

9. outofplace

Trading up in the first round really isn't their style, either. I believe Troy Polamalu was the choice the last time they did it.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have to wonder about Cousins' chances on the open market. The success this year of Goff, Wentz, Watson (before he got hurt) and Garoppolo (when he got to play) has probably caused a number of teams to decide on using the draft for a QB or hope to strike gold with a guy like Keenum rather than go after an expensive free agent, who while clearly a good player, is also clearly not a great one.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If there’s one thing that proves true every year, it’s how much a desperate team will pay for any whiff of hope at that position.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Because you can still end up with a Yates, or an Osweiler, or a Hoyer, or a Gabbert, or a Savage, or a Hundley, or a Beathard, or a Kizer, or a Hogan, or a Geno, or a Moore, or a Glennon, or a Siemian, or a Clemens, or a Lynch.

And if you have to play one of these, you don't have a season.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted