1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 16: So we were talking about rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Or a Garappolo.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yates, Gabbert, Savage, Hundley, Geno and Moore all got their jobs because starters got hurt. That's a constant risk for every team in the league. The Browns and Broncos chose not to address their quarterback situations in any way and suffered accordingly. That is not a case of choosing between means of selecting a QB.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

To Gee's point, the Browns will finally take a QB at No. 1 (or 4), the Giants can grab Rosen or Darnold at 2, the obvious 49ers landing spot is out with Hall of Famer Garropolo in San Francisco.

Denver seems like an obvious contender, but there's been no indication as to what Elway thinks of Cousins, and they have a chance to draft a QB high, assuming they are ready to give up on Lynch.

The Jets and Bils could be landing spots, but between having defensive coaches and the weather, I'm not sure Cousins would see either as an upgrade over Washington.

Who's left? Jacksonville? That would be an intriguing destination.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Cousins in Denver is interesting.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who hasn’t played yet.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

7. Right.
    That was my point.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I think Palmer will come back for another year. Arizona did cross my mind, though. I wouldn't be shocked if Cousins ended up there. Of course, the franchise's first order of business is finding a new head coach.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Say Bortles plays like Bortles in a one-and-done Jags playoff appearance. Cousins will look awfully good.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah. If Cousins doesn't get franchised, he's probably going to become the richest QB, simply because decent QBs almost never hit the open market. It's usually guys coming off injuries that rebound (Carson Palmer, Drew Brees, Manning) or guys improving seemingly out of nowhere (Case Keenum). The "premier" free agent QBs of the past few years have been Mike Glennon (2017), Osweiler (16), Brian Hoyer (15), Kyle Orton and Josh McCown (14), and Chase Daniel (13). It's incredibly rare for teams to let any semi-decent QB get into unrestricted free agency.

Draft saved Draft deleted