1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 4 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

The Raiders are blowing out the Brownies, 21-3. Um, wasn't this meant to be Cleveland's bounce back game?

2. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Crazy week, huh?
    the peerless price touchdown is humiliating to the minnesota defense.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Looks like a possible Mike Utley-type incident for the Lions, ironically again against the Rams.

A rookie guard fell to the ground on a kickoff as if he had been shot in the head.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Irony [ahy-ruh-nee]

–noun, plural -nies.

1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.
    2. Literature. a. a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.
    b. (esp. in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., esp. as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.
    3. Socratic irony.
    4. dramatic irony.
    5. an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.
    6. the incongruity of this.
    7. an objectively sardonic style of speech or writing.
    8. an objectively or humorously sardonic utterance, disposition, quality, etc.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Touchdown, Chosen One.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The Arizona-Atlanta game bothers me. Now I have to give serious thought to replacing Kurt Warner, and I could have picked up octogenarian Morten Andersen, which now seems to make a lot more sense.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Man... give Maroney rookie of the year now.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Is Caldwell still alive?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And the Browns take the lead!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Fixed.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Raiders play at the 49ers and Jets and have Arizona, Houston and St. Louis at home.

The have no shot of beating anyone else.

2-14 at best, possibly 0-16.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Clearly No. 5: Of 32 teams in a league, to be playing the one where you last had a guy paralyzed is quite contrary to what might have been expected.

Draft saved Draft deleted