1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 6 Thread: Arizona is where HOF RBs go to die

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Oct 10, 2017.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My last paper had a pink edition and I hated it with a passion. The evil-witch managing editor never bothered us in sports, but for the pink edition pulled me and another writer in for the usual stories. One was about the county school superintendent who was a survivor, but when I went to her house for an interview she gave the polar opposite of the canned survivor story. She hated pink, hated the pink movement, firmly believed that it all was a distraction from any meaningful work toward a cure and instead was just enriching people in the pink business. I should have saved the recording because it was a spectacular rant, only interrupted by a few nice words about her doctors. I couldn't disrespect her by writing anything other than what she said, even though I knew there was no chance it would be published. I left the paper not long after the edition came out, but I bet the editor wouldn't have bothered me for another story the following year.

Batman likes this.
  2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

They can't.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I was in Pittsburgh for last week's embarrassing blowout loss to Jax and holy shit did Big Ben play like shit, with five picks and two pick sixes. And yet they were ahead 9-7 in the
    third, so you can't discount how well their defense was playing until Ben once again tried to do too much. Now they sit at 3-2 and travel to KC to face the league's last unbeaten. Confidence remains pretty high. Not a must win, but a statement game that could play huge in the AFC standings later on.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

What does Zeke have to lose, 6games?

5. I think the Steelers respond with a win. With a Solid-to-great game from Ben.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They need at least that much from Roethlisberger to have a chance. This Chiefs team is better than the one the Steelers beat twice last year. They are especially good at using misdirection to get defensive players out of position, something that has been a huge problem for the Pittsburgh defense this season. Alex Smith is also by far the best passer they have faced, though it could be a little tougher for him if Kelce misses the game. He is currently in the concussion protocol.

The offense has to be better than what we've seen so far, and that means Roethlisberger has to be better. There are no more excuses. Unless somebody has a setback, the entire starting lineup will finally be on the field this week with Marcus Gilbert returning.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Figured it was only a matter of time before these two controversies merged ala Sharknado.

9. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

10. IR yesterday listed Foster (back) and and Pouncey (leg?) with issues.

Part of the Steelers run problems is players out of position. I'm looking at you Bud Dupree. The LBs try to cheat inside and forget about their assignments to cover the outside runs lane, or seal the outside.
    That, and tackling.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Lombardi also pointed out that pre-injury in 2016, Peterson was averaging around 2 yards per carry. The replacement backs in Minnesota averaged 3. Small sample size caveats of course, but the end for running backs is often swift.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I saw that after I posted. Last I heard, they expect Pouncey and Foster to play. The biggest thing is to get Gilbert back. There is a huge drop-off in pass protection from Gilbert to Hubbard.

You are right about Dupree. He gets caught inside far too often, but the entire defense has similar issues. They simply can't do that in Kansas City or the Chiefs will put up 40 points.

Draft saved Draft deleted