1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 8 -- Primetime blues

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 24, 2023.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The local Miller Lite distributor has schedule posters hanging up at places all over town. So side by side you see “2023 Alabama Football Schedule” and “2023 Navy & Orange Football Schedule.” But the Alabama schedule clearly lists Auburn as the final regular season opponent. And the N&O schedule lists such clearly trademarked names as UMass, Samford, LSU, Ole Miss, etc.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Ohio University and Ohio State had a years-long lawsuit over which owned “Ohio.”

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Martin Gramatica.

Liut and swingline like this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Did the Miller distributor not sign a licensing agreement with Auburn?

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. NFL and MLB "playoffs" have been seriously watered down. Of course, they see $$$$, not quality and former always outdistances latter with owners.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm just catching up on Sunday. I saw McVay call a play for Stafford to catch a ball after he had already hurt his thumb. He hurt it again catching it, and diving into the end zone.

Big brain Shanahan calls a screen pass for CMC down 2 tds with 12 seconds left, from their own 25.

WTF is wrong with these coaches?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

McDaniels ran a QB sneak and didn't sub out Garropolo. Moron.

My theory is that a lot of these NFL coaches - who mostly went to Nowhere State and played a little - harbor a lot of resentment toward NFL players who have the size and speed and skills they lacked and have no problem seeing them get hurt.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Liked the Lions alternate look, might have loved it if they put a blue strip down the pant legs.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Panthers weren't always smart watching Cam Newton almost get broken in two when they had Mike Tolbert - who was built like a fire hydrant - for goal-line situations. For years, fans said "Look at him. He can take it." Newton got beaten to death ... they could have spared him a lot of that and perhaps extended his career with better management.

Thought the helmet was pretty cool - and it helped distinguish them from the silver-helmeted Raiders.

But they should have returned the rest of the uniforms to the Detroit/Wayne County correctional facility they stole them from.

10. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Those helmets were cool, but they needed to be close to the camera to have any idea what was going on there. Also, the Lions are the most entertaining team I have seen this year. Small sample size from them, but still ...

Liut likes this.
  11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I had NFL stickers from when I was a kid, and I am pretty sure that Lions logo with the two bars were on those stickers.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The two bars were the primary logo from 1946-69. In the old days most NFL teams had a primary logo that was different from what went on the helmet. Usually it was a little more involved. Like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AFL teams tended to have just one logo. Today I believe only the Bengals and Vikings have a logo separate from what's on the helmet.

Lions for decades have had the greatest separation between uniforms and product.

Last night the product actually moved in front. Keep the blue tops. And bring back the bigger white numbers with the gray outline.

This is a uniform:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
    Liut and poindexter like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted